Search the forum,

Discuss Loss of pressure & High Pitch Whistle in bathroom in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Equipment
The shower (a cold feed electric unit) and the Kingspan tank are on the top floor of a 3 storey building. The Ideal Boiler Logic Heat 15 boiler is on the ground floor. The house is 9 years old in May. Both the boiler and Kingspan tank have been serviced in the last month. The shower unit is approximately 3 years old.

Problem
We have two, possibly linked, issues. The first is that two months ago we started to get a high pitched whistle after using the shower. This initially only lasted a few seconds. Now it whistles much longer and can now occur if a tap or the toilet is flushed. It changes note at the very end, going up an octave. It doesn't always occur (such as when a plumber is present) but at least 75% of the time. I have recorded it. The sound doesn't appear to be coming from the shower unit, it sounds above my head (I'm 6ft 4inches tall) when standing in the middle of the bath.

Roughly at the same time we started having to regularly top up the pressure to the Kingspan tank. Having had to pay for a service and service contract costing some £600 in total, I thought I would address both issues. Despite the engineer replacing one of the two small tanks which he says, wasn't holding pressure, the problem appears to be worse. Yesterday I increased the pressure to 1.5 Bars (as I had been told) but today it had dropped to approximately 1.0 Bar. The red hand is pointing to 1.2 Bars.

When the Kingspan Engineer was here, he looked for a probably cause and confirmed that there was no evidence of water leakages inside or out of the house. He suspects its the boiler, possibly the heat exchanger. As these are being quoted as costing £500 plus I need to be sure its the correct solution/answer and can be fixed.

Any suggestions as to how I can proceed to make sure the problem(s) are fixed without costing us an arm and a leg?

Your help is much appreciated.

Many thanks

I don’t think it would be the heat exchanger on a heat only logic, but I could be wrong. I would be checking for the pressure relief valve operating (prv), usually visible via a tundish. Is there a loft in the property?

I don’t think it would be the heat exchanger on a heat only logic, but I could be wrong. I would be checking for the pressure relief valve operating (prv), usually visible via a tundish. Is there a loft in the property?
Many thanks for your reply. I have checked the prv and its absolutely bone dry.
There is a loft, but on inspecting the noise yesterday, I realised that the noise is probably coming from the duct connected to the ceiling mounted ventilation fan.

Reply to Loss of pressure & High Pitch Whistle in bathroom in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock