Search the forum,

Discuss Loose drain in shower cubicle in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
I

ima poster

Had a leak in the shower. Resealed all the edges and sides, but noticed that the chrome drain was loos in the cubicle floor. Can pull it up by about 5mm and it is very loose. Which does not seem right. Is there any way to tighten this? Or is it meant to wobble? Sticking a load of silicone under the flange seems a bit crude. Thanks.

When fitting these there's a sort of plastic nut which you slot in and tighten. Difficult to describe but if you go to your local plumbing merchant they just might have one or perhaps you could leave a note for a plumber to give you or lend you one. I kept my first one and chuck the others as I fit new trays.

I have a bit more info now. It is - apparently - a STW8-RB - which seems quite common. I suppose the question now is whether I can remove the flange from the shower side and put in a new O ring or similar and then tighten it up again. Is this still do-able with the nut thingy. I cannot get to the bottom of the shower tray so have to work from the inside of the shower. Sorry about the italics, no idea where they came from!

Do-able but carries a risk - just make sure you aren't going to lose the shower trap - it just might spring away and end up two feet away somewhere under the shower tray - then you'll probably have to take the shower out and start all over again!!

If you r lucky you can do the following :Lift out the centre grid . Pull out the hair trap . Put back in the centre grid. use the bottom of the hair trap in the grid as a tool to tighten the flange back down . Then reassemble correctly. You should not have to replace the rubber seal .

Right. I'm still not a plumber :) No big leak any more. Builder in to take down the ceiling below to replace it showed there was still a tiny leak around the drain. As in about 1 drip every 30 seconds. Before I tightened it all up it was virtually pouring out. So while the ceiling is down, seemed a good time to clean everything and it and refit iot all. Question is how it should go back. The 'stack' as fitted from the bottom up is ... the waste trap under the shower -> rubber flange -> shower tray -> Thin membrane about the thickness of sellotape -> flange with grid. Is the rubber seal meant to be under the tray & what is the sellotape like stuff. Can I just use a thin bead of silicone under the flange

Right. I'm still not a plumber :) No big leak any more. Builder in to take down the ceiling below to replace it showed there was still a tiny leak around the drain. As in about 1 drip every 30 seconds. Before I tightened it all up it was virtually pouring out. So while the ceiling is down, seemed a good time to clean everything and it and refit iot all. Question is how it should go back. The 'stack' as fitted from the bottom up is ... the waste trap under the shower -> rubber flange -> shower tray -> Thin membrane about the thickness of sellotape -> flange with grid. Is the rubber seal meant to be under the tray & what is the sellotape like stuff. Can I just use a thin bead of silicone under the flange

The thin membrane is actually the the cover that would of been on tray when new dodgy plumber probably didn't know it was ment to be removed
I use silicone a little bead under rubber seal then a good bead around top of. Rubber seal them then a little bead on screw in top then tighten well and clean job done

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Loose drain in shower cubicle in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi there I am faced with an 4 yr old shower installation which has started to leak. It's a wet room style shower floor with a trough drain. Only access is via a hole i cut in the ceiling below and even then it's limited. It's not the trap or waste pipe... The cust has sili sealed all around...
Replies
Views
M
Hi, I'm a new plumber and still finding my feet. One of the first jobs I did a year ago has come back to bite my bum, luckily it's for a friend but I want to get it sorted all the same. I replaced their shower cubicle, the existing waste pipe was 50mm solvent weld (or so we thought as the...
Replies
Views
moleman
M
K
Hi Please bear with me as I am a complete plumbing novice but have a bit of a problem I hope you can help with. We had a new bathroom installed (by a friend of a friend - big mistake!) a few months ago and the shower has never drained properly. To get it to drain you have to fill the sink then...
Replies
Views
easyt
E
G
Hello All, I am renovating my bathroom and apart from every other thing that made life difficult I have a leaking back nut on the basin waste. It is a slotted type but the problem seems to be the lock/backing nut doesnt have thread all the way round. It has a 5mm groove at each side with the...
Replies
Views
T
A
My main boiler has developed a drip leak from the area of the condensate trap. It is not excessive, but so far the plumbing engineer has not managed to resolve the problem. The drip starts within 10 minutes of the boiler starting and usually stops after approx. 2 hours. Initially the drain cock...
Replies
Views
gasmarc
G
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock