Search the forum,

Discuss Looking for reccomendation/advice regarding doing gas safe/plumbing course in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi there looking for some advice or direction on what to do. I have seen this on internet

Its a gas safe course but im not sure if its legitimate. I am 21 years helping family business and have now decided wanting to do something practical.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Maaz
So where is all this work (profit) going to come from to service the £10k+ training bill?
Are you hoping to gain employment with a company once you have your GasSafe ?

Hi there looking for some advice or direction on what to do. I have seen this on internet Become a Gas Safe Engineer – Manchester Gas Training

Its a gas safe course but im not sure if its legitimate. I am 21 years helping family business and have now decided wanting to do something practical.
Look at the section on the site covering training courses, there are a lot of charlatans waiting to take your money, A short course may get you your ACS and equally may not, either way its a long way from being a trained engineer. Be very sure before you part with any money.

Looking to be self employed. Theres a lot of training centres but seem too good to be true

If you’re serious, then use the gas safe number listed, it takes you to a training company called option skills, then find their website from their email address, they’ve got a Manchester training centre so click on the link and it takes you to the Option skills Manchester page, very similar looking page to the one listed by the OP, same address, same page links.... NOT same phone number though!! To me looks like a copy, plus they’re not giving you amazing discounts for one off payments!!

I might be wrong but if you’re seriously wanting to enquire, then use the method above.

Maaz please believe me you will not acquire the skills you need to work as a self employed gas engineer by doing one of these gas only entry type courses. (unless you can find a Gas Safe heating engineer to work along side for a year or two)
It is rare to get a gas only type job, to have a chance at finding enough work you will need to understand how for example heating systems & boilers work, maybe fires & cookers if you want to do Landlords Certs etc. Thats before you even start on Hot & Cold water.
It is a trade, trade skills take time to practice working along side skilled trades people.
The skills you will need to survive are not acquired in a classroom or watching someone for a couple of weeks.

Its a gas safe course but im not sure if its legitimate.

What have you been led to beleive by course providers, and what is the cost?

Maz, you are probably feeling negative vibes, by now :)

In truth, they are generally correct - most courses do not deliver what you may feel has been promised. Even if you are succesful in completing the course, and they actually do provide the requisite qualifucations, the classic catch 22 kicks in: No job available without experience, and no experience without a job! Self employment is definitely not a sensible option for a newbie - a course does not equip you with the ral world skills required.

If you take a bit if time on this site ,and another well known one, you will find multitudes of guys looking for a mentor or help in completing the portfolio. You will probably know that you have to completete certain tasks under the supevision of a registered guy. I tthink the course providers imply that we are all desperate to help, and will willingly provide the time and effort to enable you to qualify as our (gven that you are likely to be local) competitors. IT IS NOT TRUE. We, generally, do not need "free labour" - it does not work out as free, and most lads will slow the job down.

IMO, the providers should be sorting out mentors, and actually paying them for their input - but AFAIAA, that never happens, Beware of vague promises - only believe (with healthy scepticism) anything that is written in the contract.

Also note that there has been at least one large scale business failure, leaving candidates high and dry. And broke.

That all said, it is a good trade, but tough to properly get into. But the only 2 lads that I have agreed to assist (because they were freinds of freinds) now fit meters for a living. Nothing wrong with that, but I am not convinvced that that was their "dream job".

Hi Mo

It's need lots of dedication and hard work. If you have somebody to take you under their wing to cover your portfolio and training then it'll be ok. Any college only provide basic foundation gas course of CCN1, CENWAT. It's involve lots of cash as well.
All the best

What plumbing and heating skills do you have. I don't do gas, I do oil. Its surprising to see how many times you turn up for a boiler repair and it's not the boiler. Need to walk before you can run.

Have a search on the forum for related threads.

Reply to Looking for reccomendation/advice regarding doing gas safe/plumbing course in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock