Search the forum,

Discuss Looking for advice on gas stove in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi guys,
I am a gas engineer and doing a gas stove.
Dont usually do fires but kinda got pushed into it! Any way to cut a long story short the connection off the stove is 150mm ish and the flue pipe is 127mm with a collar.
In the gap do I just put fire cement or is there another way of sealing it?
Please pm me as this is public gas forum not private and can an admin add me to private forum as well please?
Gas safe registered engineer with fires qualification.

20190819_121341.jpg

20190819_121339.jpg

Pm me or @Harvest Fields or @Riley

With a pic of your gas safe card front and back and will get you in the next batch

I've seen similar on a few of stove models, they use the Solid fuel carcass from a wood burner and almost retro fit a gas engine inside them to save recasting the outlet in 5". open forum so i better not say anything else but MI's should tell you more

I've seen similar on a few of stove models, they use the Solid fuel carcass from a wood burner and almost retro fit a gas engine inside them to save recasting the outlet in 5". open forum so i better not say anything else but MI's should tell you more
Is the collar sold seperately? The mi's do mention another collar to be bought seperately but instructions are pants.
There is definetly nothing else in the box.
That's quite a gap, are you sure the stove doesn't come with a 5" outlet somewhere?
I feel like there is something missing, hence why I am asking! Might ring manufacturer tommorow, not fitting it until next week so plenty of time to order anything required.
That's quite a gap, are you sure the stove doesn't come with a 5" outlet somewhere?
I feel like there is something missing, hence why I am asking! Might ring manufacturer tommorow, not fitting it until next week so plenty of time to order anything required.
Mi's just say "fit flue pipe"

Same one as the one I installed

Bang the 5” into that internal bit with sealant. bit of decorative black stove rope between the decorative cast collor and the vit, happy days . You only need the restricor if your getting flame lift from excess draw. Not all manufactures supply them. What make and model fire is it?

Bang the 5” into that internal bit with sealant. bit of decorative black stove rope between the decorative cast collor and the vit, happy days . You only need the restricor if your getting flame lift from excess draw. Not all manufactures supply them. What make and model fire is it?
This one here- instructions say it does have one, but cant find it anywhere! Unfortunately the customer un packed it and checked it so could be anywhere by now!

Yeah tiger and GDC group’s parts pretty much all fit the same in there solid fuel stuff I’d guess there gas range is the same. So a valor ridlington one would probably fit. Customer probably chucked it out then with the packaging. If it helps you I think I’m in our showroom tomorrow morning so can take a picture if any good so you know what your looking for?

Yeah tiger and GDC group’s parts pretty much all fit the same in there solid fuel stuff I’d guess there gas range is the same. So a valor ridlington one would probably fit. Customer probably chucked it out then with the packaging. If it helps you I think I’m in our showroom tomorrow morning so can take a picture if any good so you know what your looking for?
Yes please, that would be perfect, thank you

Is the collar sold seperately? The mi's do mention another collar to be bought seperately but instructions are pants.
There is definetly nothing else in the box.

Mi's just say "fit flue pipe"

As usual, some terrible advice here. Generally you cannot down rate a flue size. I don't get how MIs can just say "fit flue pipe" - it would normally be specific about the CSA of the flue required. If the outlet is 150mm then you need a 150mmm/6" flue - unless otherwise specified by the MI's.

What is the make and model?

As usual, some terrible advice here. Generally you cannot down rate a flue size. I don't get how MIs can just say "fit flue pipe" - it would normally be specific about the CSA of the flue required. If the outlet is 150mm then you need a 150mmm/6" flue - unless otherwise specified by the MI's.

This is the fire!

This is the fire!

Having re read the earlier posts, I did, in fact, see the above. Since then, about 5 mins ago, I have been googling and returned with some info - and saw your exasperated response.

I found that your stove has a "V125 burner", which suggests a 125 flue. And you are correct, the MI's are pathetic, assuming that what I found is what you received.

However, as I said earlier, the general rule and general wording (and this is an excerpt pulled from anther MI) is that "The flue size (diameter or cross sectional area) must not be smaller than the size of the stove outlet."

Cmarkr may well be correct, and probably is, as he appears to run a showroom. I would not be happy assuming anything in this business, and would be seeking written clarification from the supplier. I would not be happy relying on MI's applicable to similar products, although we all know a lot of stuff IS the same but re-badged.

I suppose this is one of the problems with dealing with Chinese stuff. I ran a showroom for 20 years, and one of the worst, professionally, suppliers was Gallery, selling a lot of Chinese gear, and I believe they are the importers for Tiger. We did not deal with them for long.

Having re read the earlier posts, I did, in fact, see the above. Since then, about 5 mins ago, I have been googling and returned with some info - and saw your exasperated response.

I found that your stove has a "V125 burner", which suggests a 125 flue. And you are correct, the MI's are pathetic, assuming that what I found is what you received.

However, as I said earlier, the general rule and general wording (and this is an excerpt pulled from anther MI) is that "The flue size (diameter or cross sectional area) must not be smaller than the size of the stove outlet."

Cmarkr may well be correct, and probably is, as he appears to run a showroom. I would not be happy assuming anything in this business, and would be seeking written clarification from the supplier. I would not be happy relying on MI's applicable to similar products, although we all know a lot of stuff IS the same but re-badged.

I suppose this is one of the problems with dealing with Chinese stuff. I ran a showroom for 20 years, and one of the worst, professionally, suppliers was Gallery, selling a lot of Chinese gear, and I believe they are the importers for Tiger. We did not deal with them for long.
The hole is 127mm, it's just the collar that is slightly bigger.
Its mad that we are still using fire cement and rope for these when boilers are using seals and washers! Surely fires could be a lot better made with specific flues made by the manufacturer rather then just using universal ones.

No, that is slightly different but it is much better instructions and does say to seal with rope and fire cement.

It is different, because Shauns is the Solid fuel version. At least it states the CSA required (6" diameter). Cmarkr is probably correct in that they have taken the cheap route and not reconfigured the outlet.

Would say the units are the same just different insides cost them too much to redesign/ do separate ones

The one I did I used firebird rope :D and fire cement and a metal lined clip to support the enamel to the liner

Been fine for a few years next service it’s getting stripped and re done as it’s starting to crack (fire cement)

Guessing this is aimed at me? not down sizing I think that’s common knowledge not to do that. please read all the posts before you assume my advice is “terrible”. the 6” cast outlet is decorative and should have a 5” thin steel internal flange is what we’re discussing. The make and model is also in the post above :)

To the OP here are the pictures of the similar fire I’m talking about, probably worth ringing manufacture to make sure there missing.

The restricted is fitted below the 5” thin walled outlet in this picture btw

0C9E3F00-0B26-4CC2-91D9-28E277DBF76A.jpeg

685228E3-3581-4F53-BF96-1E82A633811F.jpeg

86FBC0EA-71CF-4128-AB12-A61E22150729.jpeg

Edit; didn’t refresh my phone and missed the last 7 posts last night, only seen firemants first post and thought I’ll reply in the morning

Last edited:
I’ve seen a few internal ones

How long did you run it for also with any coals ? But worth a try any flame lift ?

What’s your pull like with restriction in ?

Pull is fine, no flame lift, just very orange flame.

Remove the coals then test flame pic again you will find it’s the coals find a lot like it

Reply to Looking for advice on gas stove in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock