Search the forum,

Discuss Looking for a shower screen that doesn't leak in the Bathrooms, Showers and Wetrooms area at PlumbersForums.net

I'm looking for a single-piece shower screen to replace the 4 panel folding (got black mould on the rubber parts). Something simple like this:

1631884385003.png

The problem I am finding is that after wading through lots of reviews, it seems to be a common problem across many models that they have a gap in the seal along the bottom, near the hinge, that lets water seep under it and over the edge of the bath. In this room, that would be a problem.

Any suggestions/recommendations for a decent mfr/model that doesn't do this?

Lakes are good.

But to be honest most problems are caused by bad fitting, the most common mistake is that people fit them too far onto the bath edge.

Thanks for the feedback.

The issue I am finding (buried in reviews) is that the seal often doesn't go the whole length, so a perfectly-fitted one will still leak:
fnw6ve7.jpg

(there was a review that showed a 10mm gap, but I can't find it)

So, even if I get it just right, it is still going to leak. Problem is that I can't go round and check them in person and none of the online photos are good enough to see that area.

I was hoping I could get something under £100, though I appreciate the £49 B&Q ones aren't going to be much cop.

Well there you go , spend £200 - £300 and all is well.
£50 and you’ll end up with a bit of a leak - but if fitted correctly this will be minimal and a bath mat is your friend in this situation.

Thanks for the feedback, very helpful.

In the end, I went for the £80 Screwfix Special and it seems fine for the price: it's not going to be found in a reclaimation yard in 100 years, but it should last me long enough.

They key thing is that the plastic seal at the bottom is user-applied - so I could make sure it was fitted correctly and it can be easily replaced at a later date.

As a bonus, it uses the same-sized mounting bracket as the existing one - which was the only thing competently-fitted by the original bathroom installers - so I saved a lot of time and I knew that it was already correctly positioned and aligned.

Removable seals get dirty rapidly. I prefer to support glass with small wooden wedges at each end so creating a 4mm air gap. Fill gap with clear silicon, no air bubbles then smooth edges so perpendicular. Leave for 2 days to set. Remove wedges and weight of glass compresses silicon slightly. Fill gaps left from wooden wedges. Even weight distribution, always clean, bombproof.

Reply to Looking for a shower screen that doesn't leak in the Bathrooms, Showers and Wetrooms area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock