Search the forum,

Discuss looking for a replacement seal for an old bottle trap in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi, I have a 1970s vintage bottle trap waste under the sink and had to unscrew the bottom cap to clean out a blockage. I noticed the rubber seal on this cap which appears to be a 50mm or 2 inch flat o-ring affair is starting to deteriorate.

can anyone recommend a work around or replacement source in case it starts to leak? would a liberal bead of silicone grease help? or possibly a bead of silicone sealant left to dry to form a makeshift o ring?

Ptfe might work as above, or a bead of fernox "lsx" would work better than silicone. Silicone can be very rigid and you might not get it off again in future. Don't put too much on or you'll gunk up the pipe inside.

I've never had any joy looking for them at builders merchants either, your best bet if you've got some calipers is to measure up the inner diameter, outer diameter and thickness and then order them online. There are a couple of suppliers that are easy to find on google that have pretty much every combination under the sun. Depending on how badly distorted the original o ring is, you might find its best to measure inner&outer diameters off the bottle trap and just get the thickness of the original one.

I definitely would not try and go down the silicone route, I've been called out to a fair few leaks where people have tried to use silicone in such situations, it never works for long imo.

Reply to looking for a replacement seal for an old bottle trap in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all, I have 3 brand new MC’ALPINE Untrapped Shower Gully USG2T6SS That I need gone (£40 each or best offer) And I also have 15 embrass peerless chrome seal bottle trap 1 1/2 inch (£10 each) If anyone’s interested then please contact me. Collection and Delivery
Replies
Views
Forgive my ignorance, with this basic question, but I seem to be struggling to both understand, search for, and source, the appropriate washer, o-ring or gland, for this type of tap. Maybe, no one ever replaces this type of washer/component? Background: I discovered a leak in the cupboard from...
Replies
Views
Hi, I have an issue with the standpipe trap in a 3-year-old flat. This flat came with a fitted dishwasher that has been completely unused for that time – until now... The weekend before last, I thought maybe it was about time I tested it out running empty – it all worked fine and it drained ok...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone, I am planning to renovate my small en-suite and to replace the current standard basin with a counter basin. I have some doubts regarding the trap, I didn't have the chance to remove the basin yet (it's full of sealant) but from what I can see from the camera of my phone, current...
Replies
Views
Hi I want to replace the silicone/rubber o rings on my washing mashine outlet flowpipe arrangment. See pics of the two ring types and what looks like a rubber sleeve Could someone:- 1. Tell me the generic size AND names of the o-ring, wider seal ring and rubber sleeve i need to buy ? 2. If...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock