Search the forum,

Discuss Loo flush question in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi. Plumbing question. My toilet is leaking into the pan at a very slow trickle. Not causing ripples in the pan.

Plumber removed flush valve.. not the basket.. fitted a flush master onto the random basket as the leak is still present. He determined it must be residual water sitting from the flush… even after 2-3 hours??

Can this be right?? Ive got food dye coming tomo to see if residual really is the case. I personally think the basket is letting by. Is that a thing??

The cradle is what I meant by basket.
2 leaking loos. Plumber removed 2 valves, fluid master in one which hadn’t cured anything.
The other, after two supplier runs, had the old valve put back in as no replacement available.
I’ve found it online and ordered.

Re-reading what you’ve put, I’d say he should have fitted the fluid master onto a fluid master cradle. If it’s not resolved get him back at no charge to yourself because it’s not fixed.

Re-reading what you’ve put, I’d say he should have fitted the fluid master onto a fluid master cradle. If it’s not resolved get him back at no charge to yourself because it’s not fixed.
I haven’t paid for today yet. Waiting for an invoice for 2 hours labour and 2 sets of flushes where only the valve of 1 was used.
They’re doing me a quote for a whole replacement on my concealed loo, not the one they’ve worked on today.
I will have to raise it with them. So annoying.

The moving seal, if any dirt or debris has got underneath, it doesn’t always seal.
It's a brand new valve only put in yesterday. When he pulled the old one out, the whole cistern emptied through the cradle. Would that have not cleared out anything icky?
I last flushed it 8am and it is still leaking albeit not as much.
When the food dye gets here I'm going to put that in the cistern post flush to see if the drips turn pink.

Last edited:
Wait for the cistern to fill before you add the dye, the weight of the water is often required to seat the washer in these flush valves.

It is important to clean the surface of the cradle where the washer will sit, any limescale/debris/scratch here will result in letting by.

Wait for the cistern to fill before you add the dye, the weight of the water is often required to seat the washer in these flush valves.

It is important to clean the surface of the cradle where the washer will sit, any limescale/debris/scratch here will result in letting by.
Thanks Ben.
I didn't see him do that but there isn't much room in a downstairs loo for 2 people. The fact that the old valve leaked before he removed it, then he put it back in, then he put in a new one and the leak hasn't changed makes me think it's not the valve but the cradle. Guess I get to pay all over again to sort this out! Blasted things.

Worth just taking this valve out and cleaning up the cradle first.

Is it a cable flush or one that’s directly screwed to the button?

If it’s a screwed one the height may need adjustment as if they’re set too low then the action of screwing in the button can lift the valve slightly off its seat.

Better to have a syphon - they’ll be back ....

Breakthrough!!! I've worked the little blighter out!!! Handmirror under the rim shows that at least 4 of the rim holes are totally scaled up. It looks like water from the flush is soaking into a 5 inch long piece of calcium build up and working it's way out through the nearest hole!
Kilrock gel on order

Very much doubt the holes are backed up by 5"
Its around a 4-5 inch length of the rim that is 100% blocked with limescale. 5 holes are mere dents in that section.
In a stupidly hard water area and the owner of this house before us, did literally nothing to it. 18 years of limescale right there.

Its around a 4-5 inch length of the rim that is 100% blocked with limescale. 5 holes are mere dents in that section.
In a stupidly hard water area and the owner of this house before us, did literally nothing to it. 18 years of limescale right there.
My error, thought you were thinking each hole was backed up by 5"

Surely the plumber should have removed the lime scale before fitting the new seal?
Mine dribbled a little after changing the seal. All I did was push down hard on it and it has been OK ever since. (My flush).
A drop of loo cleaner every so often removes the lime scale.

Surely the plumber should have removed the lime scale before fitting the new seal?
Mine dribbled a little after changing the seal. All I did was push down hard on it and it has been OK ever since. (My flush).
A drop of loo cleaner every so often removes the lime scale.
The limescale under the rim of the toilet pan you mean.

Reply to Loo flush question in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

O
Hi all, Hope you're well. Anyone any ideas... randomly 2 of our toilets started backing up when flushed (2 on same stack 1st floor and ground, 3rd loo (2nd floor) on its own seperate riser is fine) and takes circa 10s to level out. When flushed you can hear the gurgles and burps from the...
Replies
Views
OddJobRob
O
Hi All, just joined to ask this question as although it’s nothing major it’s doing my head in a bit! We have moved into a house with a loft conversion with an en-suite and the toilet is a Roca Polo single flush top push button close coupled affair. It works fine but I noticed a tiny water trail...
Replies
Views
We have a Glowworm BBU56F (back boiler). Its well-maintained/serviced and since we’ve been in the property (15 years) only the Thermocouple was replaced in July of this year, otherwise has been running fine. We’ve not had heating/hot water for a month now, and with 2 young kids/unwell missus...
Replies
Views
    • Winner
This post just for interest/comment so please only read if you have time for that (Any thoughts appreciated). Following on from previous post of making good the hole in the wall that I made for the re-plumbing: Loo Cold Feed and Overflow Rework / Making Good the Wall (Part 4) . . . This post...
Replies
Views
Burger
B
Hi from the USA- I'm a plumbing engineer and master plumber in the USA who is going to be building a new home and plan on using European wall-hung pan toilets with a concealed (in-wall) cistern. I intend to purchase these in the UK and have shipped here. I would really appreciate some input to...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock