Search the forum,

Discuss Loo Cold Feed and Overflow Rework / 2nd Fix Feed Plumbing (Part 3) in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

This post just for interest/comment so please only read if you have spare time.

Following on from previous post soldering the elbow connection in the wall:

Loo Cold Feed and Overflow Rework / Soldering Precuations (Part 2)

. . . completed the 2nd fix plumbing as follows:

CompletePlumb.JPG

Note the felt lagging at left hand side to push on to pipe in the wall space.

Apologies I changed intended design day before, so didn't have time to post a sketch for advice first.

Questions:

1. What is best simpler design ? (Note very little space to LHS of loo - about six inch from pan edge to wall, thinking about future maintenance)
My thoughts: Simpler design might be (from the soldered elbow in wall) - all in one long hose with built in isolation valve. You just drop the hose off the loo if ever need to drain. What put me off is:
a) If have to change hose in future would have to fit blind by lying on side with arms above head. No space in room for a helper to make sure hose properly pushed on before doing up the compression at the end of the copper (Hmmm - unless could get hose with BSP both ends).
b) I'm not sure of reliability of longer hoses (Would need ~2 foot). A longer hose will move around more. I'm happy with standard 12 inch, bending by not more than about 90deg.
2. Munsen pipe supports are traditional type. I like them as a DIYer because you can change them easily later e.g. if bashed from wall (Slow to fit but maintainable). I note I've no support on the RHS to stop pipes shifting that way so may fit rubber edged wood block (Because the wood panel as a slight warp, and may continue to move, which will not be an issue with current munsen arrangement. I didn't intend the Munsen to LHS of drain valve, put added during assembly when I though things a bit wobbly before doing up the compresions.

3. The extra brass straight compression is because I don't have professional hand/arm strength, so put a spanner on that and hold down with my foot, when changing the iso valve to RHS to make sure I don't put rotational force on the soldered elbow in the wall :)
I should buy Pegler isolation valves which have better flats on them (Don't have sufficient hand strength to use grips well)

Any comments, picture of your best design/parts would be educational for future.

Now onto the overflow plumbing, once I've stained the panel.

Many thanks all,

Roy

How are you with spanners if so have a look at either full bore iso valves or butterfly valves

New toilets don’t require overflow connections

How are you with spanners if so have a look at either full bore iso valves or butterfly valves

New toilets don’t require overflow connections

Thanks Shaun, just have to be careful with spanners. The stronger you are the more gentle you can be (and vice versa). So I just have to make sure I've got an easy to work on setup and big spanners which help a lot.

Not come across butterfly valves in domestic plumbing. I have used full bore (with lever actuation) on my garden tap to get better flow. For the loo just need nice steady flow, and old fashioned type valve (There's not generally a big queue).

I'm re-using an old loo, but had one similar in past refitted professionally where overflow thrown away but the internal overflow point was above the level of the hole for the flush handle so didn't work too well on test :). As path of least resistance I just put back the overflow pipe.

For Syphons I use Dudley Turbo88 so you can split to change the diaphragm, for easy maintenance. I generally like simple old stuff I'm afraid, with some exceptions as you can see from use of flexi hose.

Reply to Loo Cold Feed and Overflow Rework / 2nd Fix Feed Plumbing (Part 3) in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock