Search the forum,

Discuss Longer thread shower waste in the Bathrooms, Showers and Wetrooms area at PlumbersForums.net

I ordered a McAlpine 90mm x 50mm shower trap for my walk-in shower. The base will be 18mm ply with the shower tray bedded in mortar on top. I don't think the threads of the top half of the trap are going to reach the threads of the bottom half when I assemble everything. I really need more threads on the top part of the trap. Do McAlpine make such a thing? The other alternative is to widen the hole in the plywood so the whole trap presses up against the bottom of the tray, but the tray is quite thin around the plughole and I wanted to support it with the ply. What is the solution?

You don’t tighten the tray into the ply aswell

Yes

It’s designed for this there stronger than you think

You will likely end up with a very sorry situation if you try that! Think of the routes available to the water and where the seals are, and what keeps them tight in the long term:
  • Firstly there's the gap between underside of trap top and topside of tray. You'd probably be ok there (initially) if you sealed it well , but any water that did get through would no longer be protected by the main seal which is normally provided on the underside of the tray, it'd be straight into your ply. The ply would start to rot pretty swiftly, after which there's nothing to hold the top seal tight. That top seal is going to be dependent (for it's tightness) upon there being zero give through the ply and mortar including when weighted by occupants. Are you sure that ply won't compress just a little over time?
  • Secondly, once in the trap the water will migrate back up the trap thread where it will soak into the ply. I suppose you could smear a load of silicone on the thread, but that isn't normal practice, and I wouldn't recommend it.
If you want to keep the hole in the ply as small as possible (and you have enough space beneath the tray) I sometimes use a standard bath trap (type without overflow connection) or p-trap connected to a top access waste (eg: BES 10374/10376/10377)?

Reply to Longer thread shower waste in the Bathrooms, Showers and Wetrooms area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock