Search the forum,

Discuss Long term pressure problem. in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi all

a quick back story. My pressure has been dropping on my system for 6 or so months. It originally needed topping up every few weeks to needing topping up every day.
we have a BG homecare policy and several engineers have come out, mostly scratching their heads and leaving.
the last guy changed the expansion valve and prv valve, we hoped that had cured it. But here we are 48 hours later and the pressure has dropped to empty again.
Any advice would help us as this has been going on for months. I also can’t see any visible leaks.
Jamie.

Last edited:
Assuming the exterior copper pipe is the pressure relief outlet for the boiler, then:
1. The pressure relief valve inside the boiler is letting water past because:
1a. It has failed, and is just letting water past before reaching its normal level of 3 bar pressure before opening.
1b. The pressure is rising to 3 bar when hot, the relief valve is opening, resulting in reduced pressure when the water cools. If this is the case, likely to be a problem with the boiler's internal expansion vessel.
2. Once the pressure relief valve has operated, they have a habit of not re-sealing properly, so may need replacing no matter what the primary cause.
3. If you can do it, try the following on a radiator in a relatively little used room:
3a. Turn off the valves at both ends. Count the number of 1/8th turns need to close the lock shield valve (the non-TRV) one, so that you can reset it t the same point later.
3b. Open the bleed screw.
3c. Slacken the nut between the valve and the radiator (NOT the nut between pipe and radiator) and drain out as much water as you can. Lots of old towels, baking trays, buckets. The water may be very dirty, so don't get it on the carpet!
3d. Re-tighten the nut and the bleed screw. You now have a radiator full of air, which will act like and expansion vessel for a while.
3e. Re-open both valves on the radiator.
4. Run the system. If it doesn't lose pressure, or the pressure loss is much slower, then the expansion vessel inside the boiler needs attention and possibly replacing.

It sounds like your pressure relief valve is dripping, which i'm surprised BG hasn't investigated more.

However if it's an Ideal Logic, and around 6/7 years old the main Heat Exchanger will have failed and be leaking internally and going down the drain - which will be your pressure loss. Common issue on this boiler.

Reply to Long term pressure problem. in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hello, I am seeking some advice, I have a POTTERTON PROMAX 28 COMBI Boiler and I noticed yesterday that the water around the house is no longer warming up. The heat exchanger has been changed 6 months ago, so I do not believe it is that. Does anyone have any ideas on what it could be? Thanks
Replies
Views
  • Question
Ideal Logic 24, Previous problem was that the hot water was only cold or barely warm if the heating was in use. If heating was off and boiler cold then would get hot water most of the time. Changing the flow cartridge about 2 years ago (when I moved in) solved this problem enough to suffer it as...
Replies
Views
Every two weeks or so I have to go and top up the system because the hot taps are running cold. Boiler display is flashing 0.6 bar and I fill up to 1.3. I've had an engineer look inside the boiler and he can't see anything wrong. I've checked the pipes all over the house and cannot see any...
Replies
Views
Hello plumbers in my internet. So the Mrs want a spray mixer tap in the kitchen as we had two separate taps. I changed the tap for a temporary two hole mixer but the cold water pressure is high mains fed and the hot is low pressure immersion tank fed. I've been trying to find info on what I...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock