Search the forum,

Discuss Long term pressure problem. in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi all

a quick back story. My pressure has been dropping on my system for 6 or so months. It originally needed topping up every few weeks to needing topping up every day.
we have a BG homecare policy and several engineers have come out, mostly scratching their heads and leaving.
the last guy changed the expansion valve and prv valve, we hoped that had cured it. But here we are 48 hours later and the pressure has dropped to empty again.
Any advice would help us as this has been going on for months. I also can’t see any visible leaks.
Jamie.

Last edited:
Assuming the exterior copper pipe is the pressure relief outlet for the boiler, then:
1. The pressure relief valve inside the boiler is letting water past because:
1a. It has failed, and is just letting water past before reaching its normal level of 3 bar pressure before opening.
1b. The pressure is rising to 3 bar when hot, the relief valve is opening, resulting in reduced pressure when the water cools. If this is the case, likely to be a problem with the boiler's internal expansion vessel.
2. Once the pressure relief valve has operated, they have a habit of not re-sealing properly, so may need replacing no matter what the primary cause.
3. If you can do it, try the following on a radiator in a relatively little used room:
3a. Turn off the valves at both ends. Count the number of 1/8th turns need to close the lock shield valve (the non-TRV) one, so that you can reset it t the same point later.
3b. Open the bleed screw.
3c. Slacken the nut between the valve and the radiator (NOT the nut between pipe and radiator) and drain out as much water as you can. Lots of old towels, baking trays, buckets. The water may be very dirty, so don't get it on the carpet!
3d. Re-tighten the nut and the bleed screw. You now have a radiator full of air, which will act like and expansion vessel for a while.
3e. Re-open both valves on the radiator.
4. Run the system. If it doesn't lose pressure, or the pressure loss is much slower, then the expansion vessel inside the boiler needs attention and possibly replacing.

It sounds like your pressure relief valve is dripping, which i'm surprised BG hasn't investigated more.

However if it's an Ideal Logic, and around 6/7 years old the main Heat Exchanger will have failed and be leaking internally and going down the drain - which will be your pressure loss. Common issue on this boiler.

Reply to Long term pressure problem. in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi there, I’m hoping someone can help me with this problem please. I’ve searched for similar posts but not found anything helpful! My mum’s house has a pump which pulses on and off every time a tap is opened. Even filling the bath (pressure is strong) the pump won’t come on and stay on but...
Replies
Views
Hello. I am a homeowner and have a Valliant EcoTech 835 (2017). Serviced every year and worked like a treat until about a few months ago when I notified the pressure reading was too high (> 3 bar). My plumber came and did a regular service and told me the boiler is in tip top condition. The...
Replies
Views
Hi, all. I have a leak problem behind the washing machine. It's a pipe that is leaking directly into a drain. It used to drip but now is leaking a steady stream without stopping. Seems to be coming from water heater but I cannot tell. It is cold water. When I turn off the main water supply, it...
Replies
Views
Pritesh Patel
P
I have a Vaillant eco plus 837, year installed 2008. It works well. We have one large zone for the house with 13 rads running off it. We also have an UFH zone in the kitchen. Near the boiler I have 2 port valves which control this part of the system. The boiler has been loosing pressure...
Replies
Views
Hi, We have a large Heatrea Sadia unvented hot water tank, not sure of the size in liters but its about 1600mm tall. The tank is around 3 years old now and was amazing when it was first installed. Around a year ago we had a problem with water dripping from the overflow pipe outside and we ended...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock