Search the forum,

Discuss London Flat Living: Issues with Leaks from upstairs! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi,

I've had 5 leaks from my upstairs neighbour in the last 18 months and I've had enough. I believe that the joint seals are coming to the end of their lifespan as nothing has been touched since the renovation and install over 40 years ago.

My questions is......is there a way to identify weakness in her pipe system? some sort or pressure test? or tech solution? I'm sure there is?

Please advise!

Thank you for taking time to read this, looking forward to your responses

Thanks
DIY-NEWB

As this is a flat are they rentals ? or are leaseholds. Either way the owner or the freeholder has a specific role in this issue. Regular inconvenience can render the offending leaseholders contract void.
If you are a freeholder then the local authority can intervene or a letter of intent before action might move things along.
centralheatking

Leaks from where? Bathroom, kitchen,heating, unknown?

2 from the kitchen area in the last 8 months, and 3 from her Bathroom area in the last few years. It's more the regularity of these leaks, she said it's unfortunate but I'd like her to take a pro-active step and test the system some how.
[automerge]1565850387[/automerge]
Why are you concerning yourself with why it is happening?

Send them the "make good" bill every single time.

Next time it could be a massive leak when no-one is around and flood my entire flat.
[automerge]1565850521[/automerge]
As this is a flat are they rentals ? or are leaseholds. Either way the owner or the freeholder has a specific role in this issue. Regular inconvenience can render the offending leaseholders contract void.
If you are a freeholder then the local authority can intervene or a letter of intent before action might move things along.
centralheatking

Thanks, I think we're at that stage now....using the lease and T&Cs against her...it is a regular inconvenience and a massive headache when this happens

2 from the kitchen area in the last 8 months, and 3 from her Bathroom area in the last few years. It's more the regularity of these leaks, she said it's unfortunate but I'd like her to take a pro-active step and test the system some how.
[automerge]1565850387[/automerge]

Could be pinholing, in which case may need a full new pipe install, but if it's a landlord they may just want the cheapest short term fix?

Could be pinholing, in which case may need a full new pipe install, but if it's a landlord they may just want the cheapest short term fix?
It's resident who's been there for 33 years but has done nothing to maintain their property, and yes...I understand that they don't want to spend money as would I but when It's the 5th leak it's time for action...I've had enough!

Thanks for all the replys.

Roughly how old is your neighbour. Are you sure that they are leaks and not that the flat-owner is becoming forgetful and leaving taps running? They may be saying these are 'leaks' because they are embarassed to admit what really happened.

Reply to London Flat Living: Issues with Leaks from upstairs! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock