Search the forum,

Discuss Loft conversion en-suite waste length help in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Evening All

Have had some very useful help so far in reading this site so now time to ask my first question.

Please be gentle

We are in the process of a loft conversion that has an en-suite incorporated we had some basic plans done by an architect to inculude this but as we come to plumbing time we are struggling with the maximum waste pipe length arrangement.

I understand waste pipe at 40mm is a max run of 3m I need to run about 7.5 to get to soil drop.

Is it possible to run sink and shower waste at 40mm at 7.5m if I include an AAV? Fall is not an issue as new floor is way above our exit void into small back loft which is not part of conversion.

Running a new soil pipe for loo but on other side of wall, fall tricky to get 40mm into due to brick obstacles

Thanks in advance

I'd run it in 2" but where are you getting your max run measurements from? I wasn't aware there was a max run for shower wastes.

Why did you think there was no max??
Because it's something I've never come accross before. Even now when reading part H of the building regs I can't find anything specific to shower and bath wastes, the only appliances it mentions are toilets, bidets, basins and urinals, and from what I can tell that's on unventilated systems. Mcalpine state there is no max length for baths or showers but I guess that's not an official document. I've always gone off the basis of keeping my runs as short as possible which adequate fall but I'll admit I have ran shower wastes longer than 3m when necessary.

Screenshot_20190130-223200.png

Ah. Well there is something about sprinkler taps on basins that don't have plugs so I see the logic.

If the shower has no plug, then the trailing discharge will prevent the trap from being left dry, even if siphonage occurs. But if there is a sink (do you mean basin?) also, then this is not relevant to this situation as the basin would indeed suffer from a siphonage situation.

Not convinced AAVs or waterless or resealing traps are acceptable in a new-build situation and I think the 'correct' way is secondary venting, but perhaps it's just a case of having to wait for the Approved Documents to catch up with modern practices.

Last edited:

Reply to Loft conversion en-suite waste length help in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Morning all, as always can never find an exact existing thread / discussion where I don't feel like I'm making one too many assumptions. Can I get a quick sense check on the below, always wanting to work 1 step ahead, eventually planning to add an en-suite to my existing loft conversion. Got...
Replies
Views
Hi firstly no expert so apologies in advance but have a little bit of knowledge ( sometimes dangerous I know, lol) The wife is wanting to change the house around a bit, refurbishing old en-suite which is at front of house but does not have a toilet at the moment, so obviously would like one. So...
Replies
Views
Can anyone help with this please? I have had a bedroom and en suite installed in what was loft space above my garage. Unfortunately there is no way to run the ventilation ducting from the extractor fan into the main roof to access the ventilation tiles. Due to steels/roofing timbers, at most...
Replies
Views
Not long bought a house with a second story loft conversion to dorma which contains an en-suite. Toilet in en-suite has a flex waste pipe from spigot directly to top of the vertical soil pipe with not much clearance. Soil stack has no ventilation on 2nd floor causing drain smell in the en-suite...
Replies
Views
Deleted member 120897
D
Hi I’m after some advice about the pipework for my loft conversion. I am having a bathroom on the right side of the loft and the waste will need to run through all of the floor joists (red line) to pick up the stack which is on the gabel end. My question is can I drill through all these...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock