Search the forum,

Discuss LOCTITE melt in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

AI Plumber

Gas Engineer
IMG_1098.jpgIMG_1099.jpg

This is a external coupling (integral solder ring) copper to female with uponor pipe to male thread (coupling).

Would the loctite melt if you solder it after tightening the fitting with loctite on ? And therefore making the fitting leak.

Not been tested yet but would appreciate any insight on this.

yes not designed to do that says somewhere in the instructions to solder to pipe then make the fitting up, but the piece (with the rubber o rings) isnt all the way in yet

Could probably find out for sure on their web site. My guess is Yes.

What do you mean piece with the rubber o rings ins't all the way in yet ? Do you mean it hasn't been tightened ? No it hasn't, just showing the loctite.

Yeah its better to solder the pipe to the fitting and then put together but if there is tight space and you do solder with fitting in would the loctite melt ?

Whats your thoughts ? or has it happened to anyone ?

What do you mean piece with the rubber o rings ins't all the way in yet ? Do you mean it hasn't been tightened ? No it hasn't, just showing the loctite.

Yeah its better to solder the pipe to the fitting and then put together but if there is tight space and you do solder with fitting in would the loctite melt ?

Whats your thoughts ? or has it happened to anyone ?

ok and still wouldnt chance it in a tight space what happens if it does leak (which is will not rated for that high temps) you have to strip and re do it

Yes i'd say it would melt or catch fire,
If your struggling for space or wont be able to tighten it once soldered, cut the pipe far enough away and add a straight,
solder the fitting onto a length of pipe, 300mm minimum away from a plastic fitting to solder I think so i'd go with that them add locktight make the pipe and solder a straight as far away as you can Get it

If that makes sense

Just remembered, when working on big commercial pumps and the bolts had Locitite Threadlocker we used to heat the area first so deffo no chance.

first soldering pipe afterwards connect the fitting but let a cool down a bit

Yeah that makes sense, I've done that in a few places also used female iron to copper instead. The place where it has been soldered with loctite can be replaced hopefully before filling up if its a problem.

RPM is right. Application of heat is used in industry to break a Loctited fastening.
You'll know if you have destroyed the Loctite as you will see a puff of white smoke.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to LOCTITE melt in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Short version: I have about 4" of pipe sticking out of a concrete floor in a cupboard. It makes a 45-degree bend as it exists (bent, not with elbows), the last cm before the open end is pretty much straight, but as a result of the bend it is not perfectly round. I mean it is pretty much...
Replies
Views
I have a Victoria Plumbing concealed valve with 3/4" and 1/2" female inlets/outlets. I need to connect male iron 90 degree elbows (with compression fittings to the pipework). Should I use straight or parallel threads into the valve? I am thinking that I can use straight if I use Loctite 55 cord...
Replies
Views
Hello I have a problem with a leaking Essex flange mentioned previously.I have tried various fixes but it always starts weeping again. I may be moving and dont want to have a new tank fitted but want to make the valve watertight The HWC can be drained so I can get the valve joint dry to try to...
Replies
Views
Hi all, I have a wallstar combi oil fired boiler. We got low on oil a couple of weeks ago but didn't run out. Since we've had our oil delivered the boiler won't fire up when hot taps are turned on so no hot water. The boiler fires up periodically to heat water but not when we turn on taps. I...
Replies
Views
Hi Just had a new bathroom installed with a toilet bowl that reaches the back wall. Its has a bottom entry cold feed to the cistern. The fitter put an isolation valve on the pipe work for this :-(, the copper pipe comes up from a plastic pipe push fit. See photo. I did a tissue paper test and...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock