• Welcome to PlumbersForums.net - The international free plumbing advice forum. Professional plumbers sharing advice with fellow plumbers and DIY alike. Register for free today! - Checkout the Plumbing Advice forum and then our Plumbing Videos area which still needs populating.

Discuss Loctite 577 on radiator tails in the DIY Plumbing Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

kristianB

The tails don’t fully tighten, if you screw them in too far they just end up inside the radiator. So after removing them and the ptfe I applied loctite and screwed them in again but they are not mega tight. Hoping the loctite creates a watertight seal

Just fitting TRV to a 3 year old column radiator which required changing the tail from old style which requires you to tighten it from inside with large Allen key and you can tighten as per normal to a new tail has a square shaft allowing you to tighten from outside but as OP said the radiator has no end stop and the tail has no collar or end of thread so you can't tighten fully, so it leaks. About to try even more ptfe tape.

Harvest Fields

Plumber
Gas Engineer
I only use loctite on rad tails now. Never have an issue. (Fingers crossed)

kristianB

Finally got it to seal - ptfe paste to fill the thread and then ptfe tape on top to kind of hold the paste in place. Loads of ptfe tape would have also worked I'm guessing but I hadn't much tape left.

It still feels like a bodge as I'm sure professional plumbers don't do it like this.

I'd emailed the place where I'd bought the radiator from saying how do I get a good seal and they just sent me a new radiator.

Reply to Loctite 577 on radiator tails in the DIY Plumbing Forum area at PlumbersForums.net