• Welcome to PlumbersForums.net - The international free plumbing advice forum. Professional plumbers sharing advice with fellow plumbers and DIY alike. Register for free today! - Checkout the Plumbing Advice forum and then our Plumbing Videos area which still needs populating.

Discuss Loctite 577 on radiator tails in the DIY Plumbing Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

mitchino

Fitted a towel radiator today, I ptfe taped the radiator tails, and after installation noticed the tails were leaking a tiny amount. So de-fitted, and smeared loctite 577 on the radiator tail threads. Reassembled, refitted and now wondering how long I have to wait until pressurising the system. It's only a 1 bar radiator circuit, do I have to wait 24 hours?

SimonG

Esteemed
Plumber
What's it say on the instructions. I just use ptfe and paste, can pressurise immediately.

ShaunCorbs

Staff member
S. Mod
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Solutions
Did you get the fitting tight or was it easy to put in

mitchino

The tails don’t fully tighten, if you screw them in too far they just end up inside the radiator. So after removing them and the ptfe I applied loctite and screwed them in again but they are not mega tight. Hoping the loctite creates a watertight seal

oz-plumber

Esteemed
Plumber
If that's the case of rad tails screwing through the threads into the towel rail, I would question the company you bought it from.use

I personally don't like using paste sealants, and have had a few issues when joining dissimilar metals.
eg.. Brass and steel.

If I don't feel confident with a join, I wouldn't leave it

mitchino

Spoke to soon, found new leak on one side, so stripped down and removed cured loctite 577, wound threads with a lot of ptfe, like 15 times round, and that seems to have finally done the trick. The radiator wouldn't get hot at first though, so now I'm enjoying a crash course in balancing, initial experiments have at least got heat to the thing.

ShaunCorbs

Staff member
S. Mod
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Solutions
Yea ptfe normally requires anywhere from 15-22 wraps these days

Reply to Loctite 577 on radiator tails in the DIY Plumbing Forum area at PlumbersForums.net