Search the forum,

Discuss Location of pumps and valves in the Canada area at PlumbersForums.net

Is there any reason why the pump and valves need to be located in the airing cupboard?

We have Gravity HW and pumped CH, but the boiler has been condemned and needs replacement.
4 pipes come down to the boiler room, as do all the hard wiring from room stat and timer.

The HW gravity pipes are easily accessible in the A/C so the cold water feed / expansion etc can all be reconfigured up there so the cold water feed goes to the pump side of the loop.

Why does everyone who is quoting for this work seem hell bent on tearing up this layout and fitting the three way and pump in the airing cupboard?

This would mean major upheaval in the house, floorboards up to find the heating loop, channelling walls to connect existing thermostats to the new location - this seems utterly pointless.

is this a work generation scheme, or am I missing something?

Try parking the Bentley, Porsche & Lire jet somewhere off your property before asking Plumbers to quote works.

In all honesty, I can't see any reason why you can't keep it the same.
If the current system worked and all you need is a boiler replacement, then why not keep it the same.

I have to admit I have looked at a few jobs recently ,which I did about 15 odd years ago, (closer to 20 years) and wonder why we did things that way.
They have obviously worked, but there are better ways to do things nowadays.

Find an older plumber that understands how and why the system was installed that way.

Yeah - we actually have a classic old Rolls-Royce - classic cars are my livelihood now - and get that a lot when we have people to quote for jobs. It's amazing how a Ā£2500 roof repair suddenly quotes at Ā£6500!!

I would be the first to admit that the resulting layout wouldn't be optimal, but the decision to put the boiler outside was made for some very good reasons (the original boiler was actually coal fired!!!), but it seems common sense to keep all the junk in the boiler room.

If we MUST have a hard wired connection to the tank, then I can run an extra wire from the attic to the boiler room - but its not easy!
[automerge]1574506688[/automerge]
Also - it was originally installed by a very wise old plumber who was my godfather, hence the 3/4 inch piping from the hot tank to the bath taps!

Last edited:

Reply to Location of pumps and valves in the Canada area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. Itā€™s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
I want to reconnect some outbuildings to an existing water supply. The supply pipe is old 22mm MDPE and buried for a fair distance so not going to dig it up and replace it šŸ˜¬. Question is can I use normal 22mm plumbing push-fit connectors to make the connection as finding 22mm MDPE fittings...
Replies
Views
Hello all, Iā€™m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. Iā€™m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I'm would like to extend an existing outside tap to another point in the garden. I'm about to pour a concrete patio and was hoping to run the water line underneath. There are existing drain (and who knows what) pipes running along the same wall so I'm nervous about digging too far...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock