Search the forum,

Discuss Limescale inside copper cold water feed pipe. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
W

wildwestwoman

I have a Triton T80xr electric shower (approx 5 years old). 4 months ago I successfully replaced the stabiliser valve and solenoid assembly after it stopped working BUT the heater has now stopped working again. It's obviously not worth replacing the same part again so I am looking at replacing the whole unit. My problem is the amount of limescale being washed out of the hose. I clear the limescale from the showerhead regularly so know we are in a hardwater area. If I remove the showerhead and turn the controls fully to cold the pressure obviously gets higher and I am concerned at the amount of limescale being flushed out. If I let it run for 10 minutes I get about half an egg cup-full of 1 - 3mm pieces of limescale and have been running the unit like this for several days now. The amount of limescale is the same every time! We had the whole house replumbed with new pipes about 6 years ago and nothing is being washed out of any of the taps in the house, just the showerhose. When I disconnected the shower to fit the solenoid I cleaned it and checked for limescale but didn't think it an excessive amount so I think the limescale is coming from the inlet coldwater pipe. Can anyone suggest: a) A suitable replacement electric shower b) How to prevent the same problem in a couple of years time c) Any way of clearing the limescale from the pipes without ripping out the tiled walls and floor!

I have lived in many hard water areas and scale will always be a problem.
The only really successful remedy I have fitted was a water softener.
The magnetic/induction/psychic methods have never impressed me enough to recommend them to a customer.
Having said that, I'm open to enlightenment.

Good effort on your DIY job but imho 5 years is average for an electric shower (some may disagree). Cheapest option would be a magnetic de scaler approx £25 easy to fit as it copression nut. Havent done an electric shower for ages so im sure someone will be along with a recommendation. Limescale only way I know would. limescale removal on a domestic level I wouldnt know and you need to be qualified at commercial level

Must admit I was a bit proud of myself! Looks like there's no real solution to my problem apart from replacing the unit every 4-5 years then? Ho Hum - it could be worse!

mountainman, I'm not unwilling to put in a water softener but will it deal with the limescale already in the pipes? And does anyone know why it's only in the showerfeed pipe?

It may well be that the lime scale is coming from the flexible hose between the shower unit and the head. These have a rubber lining, and when flexed will break off any lime scale which has formed on the inner side as flakes. Copper pipes don't flex, so the lime scale tend to stay fixed to them. When you replace the shower, try running the cold water through the new flexible hose with the head removed. If little of no lime scale flakes appear it suggests this is the problem. You could then consider de-scaling or renewing the flexible hose at regular intervals. However, this is a palliative measure, and not a cure.

Soft water will gradually dissolve limescale over a period of time and also has the advantage of requiring less detergent in washing machines etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Limescale inside copper cold water feed pipe. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock