Search the forum,

Discuss Likely a stupid question in the Gas Engineers Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Riley

Super Moderator
S. Mod
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Subscribed
Apologies if this is a dumb question but is it against gas regs to swage a copper gas pipe?

That’s what I was thinking. I happened to come across last years gas safety cert at a property I was working in and the engineer had marked it down

Hmmm so this is a correctly formed socket not the best solder job I grant you but gas tight and as far as we know, to regs

Nope your fine

Nope same also the twitter lot only do them these days

Actually now you’ve said that I think I saw the other day someone saying illegal swaged gas pipe to PB. Were they just winding up?

Following up with this I bought some swaging drill bits. 15mm bloody brilliant 22mm not so much. Doesn’t seem to make a deep enough socket for the pipe to push into, the bit is marked 7/8” so is 22.2mm is this a big enough socket?? I can’t really see what else I could be doing wrong other than a poorly manufactured bit? Anyone know of a decent 22mm swage bit?

Get the grinder on it to remove the lip will let you go deeper

yes should be as copper varies dia and wall thickness

Cheers mate it just felt like I wasn’t able to insert the male pipe far enough. Perhaps only 4-5mm going in

I see so it’s not fully going in try heating up the copper first or you do need some pressure forcing down into the pipe

Goes all the way in to the stopper but doesn’t seem to make a full socket. Was wondering if 7/8 was big enough

I opened a thread on this a while back, they were quite expensive at the time I think around £30 a piece.
Do you recall the brand mate. Sorry to tread on toes

Not at all. Actually cost more - 22mm is over £40, links are at the end of this thread.

I’m still hoping someone will design something that you can cut the pipe out of a fitting like the yanks do eg socket saver

I'm curious as to why the imperial 7/8 was so Rubbish, I might get a crap set and have a play. I like using my monument former when I get a chance but obviously you've got to form it while it's being hand held rather than already half clipped to the wall.

Well let me know how you get on I got mine on flea bay just to try them so I’m not too bothered as they were a cheap way to test the process

There was a link to something similar in an enquiry thread showing a long vertical waste pipe that had cracked feeding into what looked to be some sort of inspection base. Ahh just seen it and like you said earlier Shaun, a socket saver.

Reply to Likely a stupid question in the Gas Engineers Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Just a quick question on common ducts for gas laundry appliances. I have recently looked at a gas ironer which shared a common duct with 2 electric dryers. I believe this isn't allowed but the manufacturer sais it's up to a risk assessment. Any ideas anyone.
Replies
Views
Hello, I’m new to the business so apologies if this is a stupid question. I was tracing the cistern tank overflow pipe and found it eventually went to nowhere. Basically a disaster waiting to happen. The problem I have is that this is a flat on the 2nd floor with no visible external overflow...
Replies
Views
Im fitting a kitchen in my own house . When removing the gas oven on a bayonet fitting and turned the gas hob off and removed a four burner gas hob. Ive noticed that the oven supply 15mm and the hob supply is 15mm but once the cupboard is out i can see the hob supply is 10mm in the wall. Which...
Replies
Views
Hello, I have a question on flush pressure. When I press the bigger button, there's hardly a flush. I understand that's normal but it's a very minimal flush. And then the smaller button is quite hard to press and I think doesn't do a full flush either. So when I flush I press both and it works...
Replies
Views
Hi I’m new here and don’t know a thing about plumbing so be gentle on me as I am also going to ask a possible dumb question, this summer I turned of the ”heating“ on the Drayton box and turned thermostat to zero but obviously had to keep the hot water on as I do every summer but I noticed the...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock