Search the forum,

Discuss Level 3 plumbing apprenticeship wanted in north west lancashire (problems) in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

mariotash94

Hi, I am really struggling to find an employer and also just wanted to get my view / point across about my current situation. I started my college course in September 2011 and have just recently finished the NVQ C&;G Level 2 Tech Cert and find myself here, sat at home day in day out looking for employers, calling them up and constantly getting rejected, Its so frustrating!! It's frustrating because in my college you HAVE to find an employer to take you on their wing to start your level 3 NVQ course, which I think is really pointless as no qualified plumber in the North West is willing to take you on! There are endless apprenticeships for other construction routes such as painting and decorating and joinery, but I think electrical and plumbing are really snobby businesses that just want to get out there, get qualified, and not help out the younger generation. To put in basic terms, I CANNOT get fully qualified because you need:

NVQ Level 2: achieved
NVQ Level 3: Need Employer
Employer: Nobody willing to take me on.

So I tried an optional route to try and get myself my own employment; by setting up my business. But oh no, I can't do that either!!
To set up your own business, you need:

A Job: There aren't any, unless your willing to do free labour (again pointless)
Transport: That's a few thousand pounds I dont have to pass my test, get a van, tax it, insure it, and upkeep it in petrol / deisel.
To be Gas Safe: Again NVQ Level 3.
Purchase tools: my tutor estimated £500 - £1000 on tools to set up, again, impossible for me to gain.

You get the picture. This country ( and the North West in particular ) are spending too much time and effort offering apprenticeships for the same trades day in, day out, such as child-care or telephone marketing / sales, when they should be evening it out, therefore creating a healthy amount of trades in training. I personally think there should be a campaign scheme for this. The older generation should be giving the younger generation their knowledge and training, and if none of them are willing to do that then when they retire, they are either gonna find themselves balls deep in cowboy plumbers who can't do the job probably and safely, or with very few able plumbers who will take that to their advantage and charge double.

Any response to this thread would be much appreciated, thankyou.

You sound like a nightmare.

I am in the North West, i know for a fact there are plenty of opportunities for the right persons, with the right attitude.

Hi mate.

I share your frustration but I'm based in Birmingham. Its horrible when you get knock backs or no response. I have sent text messages, emails, made phone calls, joined this forum and even met people in person with no luck as of yet. I feel depressed just sitting at home all day wasting away when I have a lot of go in me!

Its the Government at the end of the day. Many smaller firms would probably love to take an apprentices but they cant afford to due to the lack of work.

You already have some qualifications so just keep trying and you will get something. Try Yell.com and just contact EVERYONE. It hasn't worked for me yet but you seem way further ahead with your qualifications. Never give up!

It is NOT the Government, stop lying to yourself, there is plenty of work, especially in Birmingham.

Don't sit at home all day wasting your life, go do something else, Plumbing is not the only career path in life, there are loads of other opportunities right on your front door step

Hi mate.

I share your frustration but I'm based in Birmingham. Its horrible when you get knock backs or no response. I have sent text messages, emails, made phone calls, joined this forum and even met people in person with no luck as of yet. I feel depressed just sitting at home all day wasting away when I have a lot of go in me!

Its the Government at the end of the day. Many smaller firms would probably love to take an apprentices but they cant afford to due to the lack of work.

You already have some qualifications so just keep trying and you will get something. Try Yell.com and just contact EVERYONE. It hasn't worked for me yet but you seem way further ahead with your qualifications. Never give up!

Nice to hear from someone who's actually going through the same phase as me. I've tried searching Burnley plumbers on google and found plenty of self-employed guys on there as I've tried all the bigger companies so I resorted to that, but put it this way, I'm on the 12th page so far and no luck, It just really knocks you down, you're in college thinking you're going to make something of yourself and when you finish and it's time for you to find an employer, they just throw you in at the deep end with no help at all. I went for an interview with my college about an apprenticeship scheme, sat an English and Maths Functional skills exam for 45 minutes, got interviewed for 20, only to get told 'well if you find an employer, let us know and we can arrange your course.' What help is that? That just brings me back to square one. My friends on my course have resorted to completing level 2 and jumping on a painting and decorating course for the same reason, but I wanna stick to my guns as this is what I wanna do as a career.

Again, thanks for the understanding response, you'd only get that from a younger person such as yourself who understands what i'm going through.
Good luck to you aswel mate.

It is NOT the Government, stop lying to yourself, there is plenty of work, especially in Birmingham.

Don't sit at home all day wasting your life, go do something else, Plumbing is not the only career path in life, there are loads of other opportunities right on your front door step

The nearest apprentice work I can find to me when I search on the internet such as indeed.co.uk or monster.co.uk etc etc. is London, and that's being totally honest, take it from someone who is fed up of unemployment. I wouldn't have made this account if I wasn't in dire need of employment, I'm nearly 19 and could be like every other teenage majority and sign on to JSA, but I have respect in myself and wouldn't want to do that. I don't sit at home and do things for leisure, everyday it's a losing battle calling employers, emailing them, applying for other jobs in general to try and fill out my pocket, but even with jobs like these you don't get them if you're not qualified for it or you don't have experience, but how are you ever meant to get experience if it's impossible to get those jobs to get that experience in the first place? Personally I just really can't understand it.

Please come and visit me to see what I do on a daily basis to find work. There is plenty of work in Birmingham IF you have qualifications or you are 16-18. I find what you said quite rude to be honest. Do you really think I want to waste my life? I'm depressed, I don't have much money for food/enjoyment and I WANT to learn. Yeah Plumbing isn't the only career but its what I want to do. I could get a job as a graduate Building Surveyor but I don't want to do that kind of work.

And yes the Government are partly to blame because they don't fund college courses for people my age!

The nearest apprentice work I can find to me when I search on the internet such as indeed.co.uk or monster.co.uk etc etc. is London, and that's being totally honest, take it from someone who is fed up of unemployment. I wouldn't have made this account if I wasn't in dire need of employment, I'm nearly 19 and could be like every other teenage majority and sign on to JSA, but I have respect in myself and wouldn't want to do that. I don't sit at home and do things for leisure, everyday it's a losing battle calling employers, emailing them, applying for other jobs in general to try and fill out my pocket, but even with jobs like these you don't get them if you're not qualified for it or you don't have experience, but how are you ever meant to get experience if it's impossible to get those jobs to get that experience in the first place? Personally I just really can't understand it.
Can i ask what you were doing all summer, from the end of your NVQ2, when the vast majority of apprenticeships go to market?

Can i ask what you were doing all summer, from the end of your NVQ2, when the vast majority of apprenticeships go to market?

You have no idea buddy, that's all I've been doing all summer, at the end of the day, If what you are saying is true, I would be employed and well on my way to becoming self employed. I'm sorry but you aren't in the position to judge as you wouldn't understand, you probably qualified before the Government collapsed and could easily get the training you needed to do so. If it's not the governments fault, it's the older generation's as they are the employers of today who are rejecting skilled and talented people the training they need. Personally I think the older generation are just afraid that when people our age do qualify, they have a more updated qualification, can do more, and therefore they would have more competition. This Industry is corrupt with greed and it needs to be turned around desperately.

do some unpaid work for self employed plumbers or companies, gets you some experience and if youre good they will take you on, I done two year unpaid and completed the full level 2 nvq and last week a big firm in my area actually got in contact with me to work for them...

IMHO your not trying hard enough, sitting at home ringing people and texting people is a long shot get yourself out there and get known.

But having said all this yes it is hard to find employment but if you try hard enough and stop talking as if its everyone elses fault why you cant find work youll eventually get there in the end, providing youre good enough and have a good attitude and willingness to work

I find what you said quite rude to be honest.
I am giving it to your straight, don't take it personally, but blaming the Government is going to get you nowhere, it is a knee jerk response branded about all the time,

Loads of people do not get taken on for many different reasons, in what ever trade, but there has been a huge rise of people with a sense of self entitlement in the past few years, this is a big no no for an employer
Do you really think I want to waste my life?
I could get a job as a graduate Building Surveyor but I don't want to do that kind of work.
?
And yes the Government are partly to blame because they don't fund college courses for people my age!
If you are not getting funding from the SLC because you already have 20 odd grand in student loans, this is hardly the fault of the Government is it.

You have no idea buddy, that's all I've been doing all summer, at the end of the day, If what you are saying is true, I would be employed and well on my way to becoming self employed. I'm sorry but you aren't in the position to judge as you wouldn't understand, you probably qualified before the Government collapsed and could easily get the training you needed to do so. If it's not the governments fault, it's the older generation's as they are the employers of today who are rejecting skilled and talented people the training they need. Personally I think the older generation are just afraid that when people our age do qualify, they have a more updated qualification, can do more, and therefore they would have more competition. This Industry is corrupt with greed and it needs to be turned around desperately.

Mate, this is massively narcissistic behavior, you need to change your mindset, no wonder you are not getting taken on, you are a nightmare, i deduced that from your first post and i was right.

You are saying qualified, time served plumbers are not in the position to judge the very industry we work in and that your NVQ3 allows you in some way to do more or in fact means anything in the real world is just beyond comprehension.

Jesus christ, i am out, good luck to you both.

Last edited by a moderator:
do some unpaid work for self employed plumbers or companies, gets you some experience and if youre good they will take you on, I done two year unpaid and completed the full level 2 nvq and last week a big firm in my area actually got in contact with me to work for them...

IMHO your not trying hard enough, sitting at home ringing people and texting people is a long shot get yourself out there and get known.

But having said all this yes it is hard to find employment but if you try hard enough and stop talking as if its everyone elses fault why you cant find work youll eventually get there in the end, providing youre good enough and have a good attitude and willingness to work

I will bear that in mind to mention free labour the next time I call a company or employer, thanks for the tip, but that still leaves without a positive financial state really, no income has many negative factors as you can understand. I appreciate your feedback and see where you are coming from, but I have got out there to many places too, if you're familiar with the company Speakman Contractors, I walked down there to hand them my CV, same with several other companies such as Calico and even various Plumber's Merchants. By the way, so you are qualified after NVQ L2 in your area? Just curious, as in my area it is illegal to work, unless in training with an employer, if you don't have your NVQ L3. Another thing, before I can even go any further on a telephone conversation with an employer, they just reject me or say they're full. My immediate introduction is 'Hello, I was just wondering if you're taking on any Level 3 Plumbing Apprentices at the moment?' and the only response I get to that is 'No sorry.' Any ideas on what I'm doing wrong with this? Tips on what I should say or anything?

Mate, this is massively narcissistic behavior, you need to change your mindset, no wonder you are not getting taken on, you are a nightmare, i deduced that from your first post and i was right.

You are saying qualified, time served plumbers are not in the position to judge the very industry we work in and that your NVQ3 allows you in some way to do more or in fact means anything in the real world is just beyond comprehension.

Jesus christ, i am out, good luck to you both.

Just plain rude and no help at all, it seems with this thread you were just hell bound on being self-opinionated. Many respectful people would have just replied with understanding of my frustration and an honest opinion of what you think on the subject. I respect anyones honesty and opinion, but not when that person doesn't listen to others views aswel, you are just coming across as rude by judging me saying I sit at home and don't do a thing about the matter whatsoever, whereas with 'MrMeek' it was a more respectful approach, he took on board what I said and responded politely, therefore I took on board what he said, and responded politely.

level 2 course at college (college work) only gives you half the level 2 the other half is getting on site training which I take you done have so your still on level 2, ive done 2 year as an apprentice so now im on level 3 which is another 2 year for gas and other things.

tbh your past the period of when employers take on apprentices unless you get really lucky, either work for someone for free get experience do a part time job at night or weekends for extra coin then try to get a paid apprenticeship the following year if you have experience on site still work for free and do some of your own jobs now and then if possible.

When you ring people up ask for apprenticeship opportunities if they say there is none say is there any change of some unpaid work experience or ask the question when will they next be likely to take on new people so then you know when to ring back.

you mentioned indeed etc there crap for finding apprenticeships go on the apprenticeship.co.uk website check local papers, find self employed and company websites have a look for a vacancy section if they dont have one ring up and say what i said before.

If you really and I mean really want to become a plumber unpaid work shouldnt bother you I know men with a wife and kids that have been plumbers for year but then wanted there gas and worked for free to get there portfolios, if you the type of kid that gives up easily go find a job at mcdonalds, lifes hard it gets harder try your best and youll get the best.

P.s im only 20 currently doing my gas and ill even admit its hard to get into plumbing done 2 year just sitting in my house constantly because i was unpaid, now im getting people asking me to work for them, 2 year of torture basically is better then going on the dole or working as a painter and decorator sorry but why is there even a course in painting and decorating? I done that my self when a was 10 haha.

sorry for the rant but your a young lad thinking lifes hard now it gets harder bud. either drop plumbing and find something better or stick at it and have a better life then probably most of your mates...

Just plain rude and no help at all, it seems with this thread you were just hell bound on being self-opinionated. Many respectful people would have just replied with understanding of my frustration and an honest opinion of what you think on the subject. I respect anyones honesty and opinion, but not when that person doesn't listen to others views aswel, you are just coming across as rude by judging me saying I sit at home and don't do a thing about the matter whatsoever, whereas with 'MrMeek' it was a more respectful approach, he took on board what I said and responded politely, therefore I took on board what he said, and responded politely.
I was actually in a position to help, given your location, but you have a bad attitude, this is evident from your posts, this is the first thing you are judged on and i suggest you reassess this part of your personality.

I was actually in a position to help, given your location, but you have a bad attitude, this is evident from your posts, this is the first thing you are judged on and i suggest you reassess this part of your personality.

To Mariotash94,
I suggest you offer Gas your favourite finger as an apology and try and arrange some sort of get together.
You have an opportunity here, which my son would give his balls for let alone a finger.
Gas, oh how I wish you were Coventry based.

level 2 course at college (college work) only gives you half the level 2 the other half is getting on site training which I take you done have so your still on level 2, ive done 2 year as an apprentice so now im on level 3 which is another 2 year for gas and other things.

tbh your past the period of when employers take on apprentices unless you get really lucky, either work for someone for free get experience do a part time job at night or weekends for extra coin then try to get a paid apprenticeship the following year if you have experience on site still work for free and do some of your own jobs now and then if possible.

When you ring people up ask for apprenticeship opportunities if they say there is none say is there any change of some unpaid work experience or ask the question when will they next be likely to take on new people so then you know when to ring back.

you mentioned indeed etc there crap for finding apprenticeships go on the apprenticeship.co.uk website check local papers, find self employed and company websites have a look for a vacancy section if they dont have one ring up and say what i said before.

If you really and I mean really want to become a plumber unpaid work shouldnt bother you I know men with a wife and kids that have been plumbers for year but then wanted there gas and worked for free to get there portfolios, if you the type of kid that gives up easily go find a job at mcdonalds, lifes hard it gets harder try your best and youll get the best.

P.s im only 20 currently doing my gas and ill even admit its hard to get into plumbing done 2 year just sitting in my house constantly because i was unpaid, now im getting people asking me to work for them, 2 year of torture basically is better then going on the dole or working as a painter and decorator sorry but why is there even a course in painting and decorating? I done that my self when a was 10 haha.

sorry for the rant but your a young lad thinking lifes hard now it gets harder bud. either drop plumbing and find something better or stick at it and have a better life then probably most of your mates...

Just called a local guy and you weren't wrong! They jump at the chance when you mention free labour haha! Thanks a lot for the advice. And about the dole, I refuse to go on it, I have no income whatsoever and living with parents which is embarrassing to say the least, I might be only 18 but I want to be doing more, getting out there and actually start working. I've never give up on it, it is what I wanna do, I was an A* student in English and my English teacher told me to become a solicitor, but I'm more of a hands on person, I like a challenge not a load of boring documents, I enjoy a task and am addicted to the feeling of achievement and seeing achievements visually. Sometimes it takes what I've been through and peoples guidance like yours to just think, I want this that bad and to just get it over and done with without payment. I am at that stage. I took on board your advice and you've been a real help, just gotta call up my college now and let them know I've got a self-employed employer willing to take me on, despite no payment I feel awesome. I know right, I've never understood why painting and decorating is a course, in my opinion if you can DIY with something like that, there's no need for it to be funded in training. Take Electrical and Plumbing for instance, no one dares touch electrical for health and safety reasons and no one dares touch Plumbing for fear of turning their house into a Finding Nemo set, hence why they are such thriving and well paid businesses to go into.

Thanks again for your advice though mate, you've been a help.

To Mariotash94,
I suggest you offer Gas your favourite finger as an apology and try and arrange some sort of get together.
You have an opportunity here, which my son would give his balls for let alone a finger.
Gas, oh how I wish you were Coventry based.

The best comment I've seen on this thread yet ahahaha!

now work your hardest with him always ask questions think ahead and get the tools ready for him etc, it will be hard being unpaid but its only a year till you can try again it WILL pay of, no matter which way it goes even if he tells you to pee off in 2 weeks your still 2 weeks closer to becoming a plumbing if that makes sense.

a lot of self employed lads cant pay apprentices but imho there better to work for (Even for free) than training with larger companies that train you. p.s there is a £1500 grant for your employer to pay you if you get on the apprenticeship course with him go on Home - Apprenticeships its literally on the top page on the slider thingy so theres £1500 for your first year and he can apply again on the 2nd year then 3rd and 4th if you go to level 3. it not much but its your bus fair and food for work + a little extra for a bottle of cider on the weekend haha

Good luck stick at it and try your hardest

p.s obviously dont just give free labour make it clear that he gets free labour in exchange that he teaches you plumbing and eventually let you do things on your own after a year you shouldnt be just passing tools or soldering a joint he should be leaving you by yourself on projects but that depends on how good you are.

now work your hardest with him always ask questions think ahead and get the tools ready for him etc, it will be hard being unpaid but its only a year till you can try again it WILL pay of, no matter which way it goes even if he tells you to pee off in 2 weeks your still 2 weeks closer to becoming a plumbing if that makes sense.

a lot of self employed lads cant pay apprentices but imho there better to work for (Even for free) than training with larger companies that train you. p.s there is a £1500 grant for your employer to pay you if you get on the apprenticeship course with him go on Home - Apprenticeships its literally on the top page on the slider thingy so theres £1500 for your first year and he can apply again on the 2nd year then 3rd and 4th if you go to level 3. it not much but its your bus fair and food for work + a little extra for a bottle of cider on the weekend haha

Good luck stick at it and try your hardest

Just called my college and thought I could jump onto Level 3 with this guy, but turns out I have to start on Level 2, which is basically what I've already done in the workshop. I mentioned I've completed my bathroom assessment at college and said shouldn't that be proof enough that you can fit a bathroom, cold water tank and hot water cylinder on your own and he said no you have to do it in the workplace.. whats that about? I'm basically just repeating what I have done for the past two years but with an extra guy for a help? That just really doesn't make sense to me it's really got me ****ed. IF I do qualify I will have done a total of 6 years! I'm training to be a plumber not a doctor, Christ!

I take it you done level 1 then the technical cert in level 2 you also need to do the work based cert in level 2 which you get from working in the work place... happened with me two mate just gotta hack it. btw everything you learned in college practical wise is nothing compared to the real world the regs etc apply but you basically know nothing about plumbing just like I did.

and i stated this in a previous post mate.

you either do 2 year apprenticeship with a 1 day release to go to college or 1 year in college 2 year full work load with an assesor coming out to see you.

to put it plain and simple youve only done half of the level 2 course....

Mario just stick at it. Jump at the chance to work with that employer for free what you could learn in a few months from a good tradesman is miles better than any college course for plumbing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Level 3 plumbing apprenticeship wanted in north west lancashire (problems) in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock