Search the forum,

Discuss Legality of removing a boiler and re position in same room ? in the Gas Engineers Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Jobbing builder …. Has taken boiler down and flue etc . Refitted on another wall in the room . Complete with flue

No gas safe cert issued . Local council are saying it would not need to be notified

Thanks

Is this Jobbing builder Gassafe registered and with the correct categories to install boilers, presumably in a Domestic property and is the boiler connected, including gas supply and working?

And was it connected, including Gas supply and working prior to his / her removal of it?

Jobbing builder . Not a chance of been Gas safe . He did not even have liability insurance etc !

Boiler was fine . But i was wondering if its still needs notifying when been moved etc ??

I am lost for words that you think getting the boiler registered is far more important than getting it installed safely .
Sleep well .

The Gas Safe website has a "Concerns & Reporting Illegal Gas Work" page with links to appropriate report forms.

You need to get a registered gas engineer to re-install the boiler and issue the appropriate paperwork. Get the builder to pay.

(Have you checked that the builder didn't subcontract the gas work? It'd have to be a really stupid builder who risked moving a boiler themself and a really stupid property owner who allowed them to do it!)

If the Local Authority for that area say it doesn't need notifying to them, then it doesn't.

Notification is a minor issue in the situation, whether the boiler has been installed safely and by someone suitably experienced and Gas safe registered is the main issue.

Was this boiler part of larger works and has the builder invoiced and been paid and is fitting the boiler mentioned on the invoice?
Did the builder quote for moving the boiler and is moving the boiler mentioned on the invoice?

I am lost for words that you think getting the boiler registered is far more important than getting it installed safely .
Sleep well .
Read it again ..... I was asked if the boiler was working fine before it was removed and refitted etc

Job was mainly "cash in hand ". Lots of issues , New consumer board and wiring carried out .Now lots of issues upstairs .As they pulled the ceilings down and hacked at cables etc . All I would like confirming is the legality .Even for a GSE to remove a boiler and refit it . Would it need to be notified under the GS scheme for it to be a legal install ?

Doesn’t need to be notified again now if it was moved into a new extension yes it would

Doesn’t need to be notified again now if it was moved into a new extension yes it would
so only issue would be the fact he was not a GSE ? I find it amazing that on some sites they claim it would need to be registered etc etc .Is this yet another case of the whole scheme is not policed correctly. British gas came today as there was a smell of gas and the engineer was not interested in it not been fitted by a GSE !

so only issue would be the fact he was not a GSE ? I find it amazing that on some sites they claim it would need to be registered etc etc .Is this yet another case of the whole scheme is not policed correctly. British gas came today as there was a smell of gas and the engineer was not interested in it not been fitted by a GSE !

Correct and hse issue also void if manufacturers warranty

No warranty etc . But there is not ONE single route to take to have people like this fined etc ! The council are not worried etc .If this was Germany or the USA .The wold comes crashing down on people who do illegal work etc

Only if the homeowner reports it

Read it again ..... I was asked if the boiler was working fine before it was removed and refitted etc

Job was mainly "cash in hand ". Lots of issues , New consumer board and wiring carried out .Now lots of issues upstairs .As they pulled the ceilings down and hacked at cables etc . All I would like confirming is the legality .Even for a GSE to remove a boiler and refit it . Would it need to be notified under the GS scheme for it to be a legal install ?

electrically, if you are in England or Wales you need to comply with Part P and the electrician should provide you with certificates too

if you don’t have these, then you’re on your own when thing go wrong and / or you want to sell. Your insurance might be invalid too

cash in hand means you are enabling tax evasion

In order for it to be illegal work, it has to be established that the person who did the work, should not have.
That would apply anywhere in the World.

So consider this,
The builder is questioned about who did the work related to the boiler.
He says he got someone in who said they were Gassafe registered.
The Gassafe guy disconnected the gas, the builder removed the boiler (hence his DNA and fingerprints are all over it)
The builder helped the Gassafe guy fix the boiler on the wall and the Gassafe guy connected the water and gas and commissioned the boiler and was wearing gloves.
The builder paid the Gassafe guy cash, with the promise that he would send on paperwork for the boiler install.
He didn't and the builder has tried but has been unable to contact him.

What's the builder guilty of?
What's the non existant Gassafe guy or gal guilty of.

Or the builder could just as easilly deny ever having touched the boiler, (DNA and fingerprints might disprove that unless he was wearing gloves.

You'll need evidence the builder was asked to move the boiler.
Evidence he personally did move it and leave it switched on and working, whether safely or not.
Evidence that he was paid for it having invoiced for the work might go against him, but doesn't prove he actually did the work.

If the boiler is found to be unsafe or has injured someone then the incident is more likely to be thoroughly investigated, but the outcome could still be the same as above.

Reply to Legality of removing a boiler and re position in same room ? in the Gas Engineers Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

The fittings below are for a mixer bar attached to a self contained shower. i.e not a wall. The attaching screws have snapped. I could get two new brackets, dismantle that existing one and start again or I could try and re attach via those screws, removing the broken ones from the plate and wall...
Replies
Views
Hi. I need a new toilet supply line but don’t know the size type of the fitting at the shut off valve. It is not 3/8 compression. It is a plastic nut about the same size as the one going into the cistern but has a different thread. Attached is a photo. Can you advise. Thanks.
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended floor. Pic 1 is inside porch, pex temporarily clipped to give an idea of pipe placement (ignore shoddy blockwork of booted cowboy builder!), Pic 2 is...
Replies
Views
Hi all Noticed bad smell in my drain out side put my hand down and it unclogged it for now however I checked my sewer drain and after flushing my toilet a good few times nothing is going to the sewer so don't know is there a blockage or what way it works many thanks and advice would be grateful
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock