Search the forum,

Discuss LEDs under the edge of a raised slate shower tray. Good idea or bad? in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi there,

I bought this 1500mm X 800mm X 30mm grey slate shower tray.

It will be installed on a raised bed of 2.5 inch concrete blocks, and I might put a sheet of 18mm Marine Plywood on top of those.

I have no choice but to raise the slate shower tray as it's an apartment building on an upper floor with a concrete floor.

I like the look of the LED lights here:
lights-led-under-shower.png

The example above is probably a tiled shower floor though, not a slate tray. If I do something like this could I overhang my shower tray by about an inch as illustrated here?
overhung-tray.jpg

The problem with this is that people will be stepping from the bathroom floor tiles onto the black shower tray so there is a danger that the edge of the slate shower tray might get damaged. Any thoughts?

Here is another example:
light-under-shower.jpg

Again that one is using a tiled shower floor. How would you approach this in my case where I have to use a slate tray (I've bought it now and won't change it)? Even if I wasn't putting in the LED light strip I'd need to tile up the front of the concrete blocks to blank off that area so maybe there is a way to do it by cutting an edge off the 2.5 inch blocks and tiling the top half of the block as shown here:
overhung-block.jpg

I'd appreciate your thoughts!

I have a second (related) question.

In the photo above you can see LED lights at the top of the shower. I'd like to do that also. Do you think adding these would cause issues with waterproofing / tanking? I know it's out of the immediate wet area but am I introducing a risk of damage from steam damage if I do that (note that there is no window in the bathroom but the extractor fan is directly over the showerhead)?

Thank you for your input guys!

Regards,
Dave

First option is fine just chemical stick the led profil to the tray before hand

Shaun, thank you. Come to think of it I should be able to get an LED profile that is about half an inch wide so that's all I'd need to overhang the shower tray by. Maybe 3/4 inch if I put some waterproofing and a sliver of a tile standing on edge behind it.
I need to research how to chemical stick the profile, not sure about that bit.

Chuck, Murdoch, thank you for raising the critical issue of electrical safety. I am doing a complete bathroom remodel and will use a qualified electrician for any 240V work. These LEDs though are only 12 Volts, 72 watts, and are IP65 rated. They will be powered via a transformer which will be located in the nearby hotpress. Given that they are only 12V do you think I'd be okay to install those myself?

Note that I am in Ireland but our electrical and building regs are very similar to yours in the UK.

This is the link to the LEDs that I bought:

Looks like Plumbers Forum doesn't accept links to Amazon . co . uk so my link didn't come through. The LEDS are:

"Tesfish Super Bright 600 LEDs LED Strip Lights", but in any case the important point is that they are IP65 and 12V

Aslong as there ip rated I would say it’s fine and the drivers located where accessible and acceptable eg out side of zones

Reply to LEDs under the edge of a raised slate shower tray. Good idea or bad? in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi there, I'll soon be installing a SONAS 1500 X 800 resin shower tray in a bathroom that I am renovating. It does not come with any sealant or tape. The shower tray will be against an external concrete wall which I will insulate and put some Hardie Backer Board on. My question is, does the...
Replies
Views
Hi. I have have purchased 3 Mermaid wall panels to replace the tiles in our shower. These panels are 3mm in thickness. After removing the existing wall tiles, I have discovered that there is a gap around the entire shower tray, in some places the gap is greater than 3mm, the thickness of the...
Replies
Views
Hello there, Relatively recently we had a new en-suite fitted (complete rip out of the old fittings, and old wall tiles and floor carpet). This consisted of a quadrant shower enclosure, a stone-resin shower tray, new ceramic tiles on the floor and half tiling on the walls. All the work...
Replies
Views
Hello there! I hope your weekend has started well. TL/DR: Should I replace 90-degree bend with a smaller type to increase the fall from the shower tray? I am replacing a bathtub with a 1500 X 800 Sonas shower tray which I will place on 4-inch blocks, probably with some 18mm marine ply on top...
Replies
Views
Although not really my line of work, I have a full bathroom refurb to do where the bath with overhead shower is to be replaced with a low-level shower and I'm a bit worried about potential issues with the existing low flow-rate of wastewater which puddles for short periods by about 3cm in the...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock