• Welcome to PlumbersForums.net - The international plumbing advice forum. Professional plumbers sharing advice with fellow plumbers and DIY alike. Register for free today!

Discuss Least Bulky Plastic Fittings in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

etrader

Reaction score
Hello, I want to extend a radiator using either PEX or HEP20 pipe, which type of pipe has the least bulky fittings as I need to fit under floorboards.

ShaunCorbs

S. Mod
Plumber
GSR
Reaction score
TBH there all about the same just hep slightly smaller dia

Cailean

Plumber
Reaction score
Tectite Sprint or Conex Cuprofit are the least bulky. The Tectite fittings work with PEX if you use the correct liners/inserts. However I recently had one leak on me, which is the first out of many that I've used and I'd thoroughly test your system before putting your floorboards back down. Tectite are non demountable and are permanent, Cuprofit are demountable with their special tool.
You can also use compression fittings with plastic pipe, but use copper olives, not brass olives.

Pegler Yorkshire - Sprint

Last edited:

Alk

Reaction score
Tectite Sprint or Conex Cuprofit are the least bulky. The Tectite fittings work with PEX if you use the correct liners/inserts. However I recently had one leak on me, which is the first out of many that I've used and I'd thoroughly test your system before putting your floorboards back down. Tectite are non demountable and are permanent, Cuprofit are demountable with their special tool.
You can also use compression fittings with plastic pipe, but use copper olives, not brass olives.

Pegler Yorkshire - Sprint
Just to clarify Cailean's detailed reply; Conex Cuprofit are only for copper pipes.
I believe that Wickes' own brand copper pushfit is Cuprofit repackaged as it appears exactly the same (and Toolstation sells Cuprofit). It is helpful to know as sometimes one has stock that the other doesn't (eg. the Wickes demounting tool, which works with Cuprofit branded fittings).

Don't forgot to also use an insert if using compression fittings with plastic pipe (in the case of speedfit, not the speedfit "superseal" insert).

WC1

Reaction score
As above, don't forget to use an insert with just about all pex type plastic push fit pipe per mi's.
And, if you're using compression fittings on jg speedfit don't use the "superseal" insert, just use the "basic" inserts in this case.
(Personally I think hep2o fittings look better, although they shouldn't really be seen, they feel like better quality and the fittings are slightly smaller)

Warmiger

Reaction score
Floplast fittings are one of the smallest speedfit. You use a clip to lock the collar. Some people prefer the look of them too. Ready available at Screwfix.
I haven’t used them for a while as the company I work for don’t use them. Hep20 seem to have the longest warranty periods from what I remember.

Cailean

Plumber
Reaction score
I wouldn't use or recommend Floplast fittings. They have a terrible reputation for leaking, including the ones I tried. On the occasions I have to use plastic fittings, it's Speedfit as this is the only make that I've never had a single problem with.

Warmiger

Reaction score
I have used them without issues in the past. But I’m talking 10+ years ago now.
I work with what I am supplied with.
If you do the proper tests once installed you will know if you have any problems.
If you do use them pressure test them and you will know if you have any issues.
As stated unsure of the quality these days.
I often go into properties where they have been installed for 10+ years and still holding.

Kwok wong

GSR
Reaction score
Not so effective on plastic pipe I hear.
Depends if there’s already copper already laid. Obviously can’t use solder fittings on plastic pipe... ps I see where your going with this... how many more posts do you need?

Forum Sponsors

Corgi - Plumbing Supplies for Professional Plumbers - Plumb Advice

Plumbase - Plumbing Parts for Plumbers - Plumbers Advice

Power Shower Booster for Power Showers - Plumbing Advice

Underflor Heating Systems by uHeat - Plumbing Advice

Wetroom Supplies by Wetroom Store

Nicobond - Wetroom and Tiling Supplies - Plumbers Installation Advice

Corgi - Plumbing Supplies for Professional Plumbers - Advice for Plumbers

Do you have a DAB radio for work?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.