Search the forum,

Discuss Learning oil. in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Yo!

I've been a ng and lpg engineer for the past 15 years, mainly worked for companies but went out on my own the beginning of this year and absolutely loving it... I must say.

Recently moved house out to the sticks so I've decided to stick myself of a 5 day oftec training and assessment course.

I've stripped my own (very old trianco tro) boiler down several times just to get a feel for isolation and working on an oil burner. I changed the nozzle and have been going through the books, so I can see that the fire valve shouldn't be in the house (it is) and the stand for the tank is not wide enough... Blah blah blah (let me get to the point)!

How much of a learning curve will it be for a gas engineer with 15 years experience to start working on oil boilers? What new tools will I need (other than pressure pump and a suction thingy) and what's gonna make we scratch my head and ask a customer to go and run a tap while I cry a little?

Not too much of a learning curve to be honest with your gas background.
I was lucky to spend some half days with an experienced engineer doing servicing and breakdowns.
The OFTEC courses will only teach you the rules and regs. Very little hands on fault finding. Might be better with some of the manufacturers courses.
I used to be OFTEC, did 10 years being registered. But they are totally useless.
Servicing and repairs dont need oftec and for installs I just go through building control now and add the cost to the job.
And you can always find help on here👍

As above the oftec courses only teach you the rules and regulations and a bit of basic fault finding. Simon and myself were oftec but have been around long enough to know what he said is correct. That doesn't mean you shouldn't do the course because it will certainly help you more than not doing it but as Si said do some manufacturers courses and ask around to see if you can shadow an experienced oil engineer for a little while. Believe me you're not going to learn it all in 6 months. I'm 36, have been working on oil boilers since I was around 11 years old and there's still an awful lot to learn.

Not too much of a learning curve to be honest with your gas background.
I was lucky to spend some half days with an experienced engineer doing servicing and breakdowns.
The OFTEC courses will only teach you the rules and regs. Very little hands on fault finding. Might be better with some of the manufacturers courses.
I used to be OFTEC, did 10 years being registered. But they are totally useless.
Servicing and repairs dont need oftec and for installs I just go through building control now and add the cost to the job.
And you can always find help on here👍
I think I'll definitely get on a couple manufacturer courses. From what I've seen Worcester and grant seem to have the market cornered (please disagree if I'm wrong). I'm not the sort of person who can't take advice and the most important thing is my rep so Ill probably put extra time on all my initial oil jobs. I need to fit a new boiler at my own house so looking forward to a lot of learnings there, I've also told all my neighbors ill do there servicing (and they all know I'm new to oil).... Back to the tool point (I love buying tools) what extra should I buy.... Even if not essential I love buying tools 😂😂

You need a pressure gauge, vacuum gauge, smoke pump, a fga calibrated for kerosene, gas oil and eventually HVO. A multimeter that can read capacitance, although you can test capacitors with the resistance setting, believe me capacitors are a frequent problem. Flue draft gauge would be handy. Suitable hoover, we used Henry's. Volt stick and solenoid tester are handy to have and all your other regular tools.
You will also need to keep spares on the van. Riello pumps, Mectron and RDB, couple danfoss pumps and solenoids. Am assortment of nozzles and filters/strainers etc etc.

As above the oftec courses only teach you the rules and regulations and a bit of basic fault finding. Simon and myself were oftec but have been around long enough to know what he said is correct. That doesn't mean you shouldn't do the course because it will certainly help you more than not doing it but as Si said do some manufacturers courses and ask around to see if you can shadow an experienced oil engineer for a little while. Believe me you're not going to learn it all in 6 months. I'm 36, have been working on oil boilers since I was around 11 years old and there's still an awful lot to learn.
I'm by no means saying I've mastered gas, but very little trips me up or stumps me anymore. I've been watching a heap of oil vids and obviously been having fun with my own boiler so it's exciting to feel I'm picking up a new skill... It also appears to me that there's more opportunity to fix stuff and tinker etc with oil boilers.

Henry Hoover for me. Had it a lot of years. Had a few new hoses, filters and a new on off switch. Not quite triggers broom yet.

I dont carry a tremendous amount of spares, I have heating world of spares on my doorstep.

I carry danfoss pumps bfp21 left and right hand. Triancos tend to be right handed. Ebi transformer, solenoids, tf832 control boxes, photo cells. Then riello pumps, mectron pump, solenoids, photo cells.
I also have a spare burner in the van and a few in the garage.
Lots of nozzles, long life hoses and an assortment of 10mm x 1/4" or 3/8" fittings and nipples.

I dont carry pcbs or rdb control boxes. Pick them up as I need them.

I already have a Henry, but I'm tempted to buy a bosch / makita wireless hoover. So I might use that for my normal jobs and assign the Henry to oil. My kane for ng and lpg does oil too so good on that front. I use a kane multimeter for regular boilers too so that should be transferable. Looks like it's pressure guage, vaccum guage and smoke pump. I've already started collecting nozzles and I think I'll get some hoses too.

Reply to Learning oil. in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock