Search the forum,

Discuss Learning from scratch. What's the best way? in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi All,

So I live with my family and am to buy my own house soon probably in the next few months. For the past 6 months or so I have been heavily interested in home renovation and DIY type work in preparation for my new house.

The problem is that I have zero experience. When I mean zero, i mean zero lol. I want to start practicing and learning in the best way possible fitting to my lifestyle. I should also mention that I am an accountant, so just looking to this as a hobby.

I work Monday to Friday and so weekdays are not the best for me.

Ideally, I would love to take part in some weekend workshops for absolute beginners, or even shadow and help out on work projects (possibly charity ones, as I can imaging I won't be allowed on site in a professional setting?) as I believe learning on the job is the quickest way to learn. However, I cannot find anything of the sort on google. DO you think if I call up a plumbing agency and volunteer I could get some work out of it that way? For those in the profession do you accept volunteers on site?

The other route I was thinking of is evening/weekend beginner courses, where I learn the theory. How useful do you think these are? Is it worth the money?

Also I know this is a plumbing site, but if there are volunteering opportunities which gives an all rounder, including for example electrical works and tiling and gutting and rebuilding, painting etc would be amazing. I'm probably dreaming a bit there haha.

Thanks,

The problem is that I have zero experience. When I mean zero, i mean zero lol. I want to start practicing and learning in the best way possible fitting to my lifestyle. I should also mention that I am an accountant, so just looking to this as a hobby.

Arround here accountants charge appoximately six-times per hour what plumbers do. So, you'd be better off doing a bit more accountancy in your spare time and employing somebody who is already competent.

DO you think if I call up a plumbing agency and volunteer I could get some work out of it that way? For those in the profession do you accept volunteers on site?

No.

The other route I was thinking of is evening/weekend beginner courses, where I learn the theory. How useful do you think these are? Is it worth the money?

Check with your local FE college or Google 'DIY Plumbing Courses in West London'. Plenty of places offer weekend courses.

Actually, I've always fancied becoming a part-time accountant. May I volunteer at your office and try my hand at offering investment and tax advice to your clients? I figure that it can't be that difficult and if I make any mistakes you and/or your insurance can cover them. :)

Last edited:
Anyway, doing what you say is mostly about you. If you are not practical, don’t like getting dirty
Clearing up mess not physically fit ..don’t mean gym fit but able to deliver over 8 hours then it’s not for you. Let us know Centralheatking

Arround here accountants charge appoximately six-times per hour what plumbers do. So, you'd be better off doing a bit more accountancy in your spare time and employing somebody who is already competent.

That might make logical financial sense, but I specifically said I was doing this as a hobby. I would like to build up my competence at least to a level where I'm not useless lol.

Cool

Check with your local FE college or Google 'DIY Plumbing Courses in West London'. Plenty of places offer weekend courses.

Yeh I've seen a few now on Google, just wanted to know if they were worth the money if there was any other more effective route.

Actually, I've always fancied becoming a part-time accountant. May I volunteer at your office and try my hand at offering investment and tax advice to your clients? I figure that it can't be that difficult and if I make any mistakes you and/or your insurance can cover them. :)

Yes you can actually. However you will be given the most basic bookkeeping/admin tasks so you will not be giving out any advice at all. Any decent company will have a strong review/control process so even if you do screw up, it will not have passed through the several layers of review. So that is why I mentioned if shadowing a plumber or helping out is plausible. Even if just handing tools over and observing, I will learn something.

Thanks for you help.

Tbh these days for diy tasks have a look a u tube eg plumber parts and buy aload of comp fitting and tube and start making things up etc then move onto soldering

Anyway, doing what you say is mostly about you. If you are not practical, don’t like getting dirty
Clearing up mess not physically fit ..don’t mean gym fit but able to deliver over 8 hours then it’s not for you. Let us know Centralheatking

I would say I am practical minded and don't mind getting dirty. It's just that I never had the opportunity to do it. Once I get my house in a few months, I will be able to experiment and learn more. However even then I am limited to the problems that arise in my house. I want more exposure hence why I raised this thread.

I don't desire to deliver 8 hours of work a day, as I said this is just a hobby, I am not looking to get into it as a profession.

Obviously I will not get to a professional level, however I am hoping to get to a level where I am fairly competent!

Thanks

Reply to Learning from scratch. What's the best way? in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
My son has an apprenticeship interview for to become a plumber and heating engineer. The have said there will be a multiple choice exam for this for suitability. The thing is my son panics during tests/exams. Is there any book I can buy him to practice the multiple choice test for the exam? What...
Replies
Views
Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended floor. Pic 1 is inside porch, pex temporarily clipped to give an idea of pipe placement (ignore shoddy blockwork of booted cowboy builder!), Pic 2 is...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock