• Welcome to PlumbersForums.net (formerly UKPlumbersForums.co.uk). Please login with your usual username and password. Or register for free if you haven't already done so.

Discuss Leaky aluminium shower frame in the Bathrooms, Showers and Wetrooms area at PlumbersForums.net

alichambersUK

Reaction score
Hi - I have had a leak from my shower which I cannot seem to fix.

I have re-siliconed around every joint I can find - the blue lines on the images are close to where I have siliconed. And on the pan corner by the blue arrow.

I have black tape over areas to test where leaks may be.

When I pour water over the black tape area, water seeps out - although less than before - from the circled area.

I'm out of ideas - any suggestions?

IMG_20190525_183236 (copy).jpg IMG_20190525_183400 (copy).jpg

Craig Watson

Plumber
GSR
Reaction score
Shouldn't really be applying silicone on the inside of the shower screen, up the vertical wall posts is usually fine and some manufacturers specify this, but never seal round the base of the screen on the inside.
What this does is trap water in the wall profiles and then water will leak out the area you've circled in blue.

OP
A

alichambersUK

Reaction score
Thanks Craig. That's useful to know.

I applied silicone inside to try and stop the leak, as the leak was there before.

Any other ideas on where to look?

OP
A

alichambersUK

Reaction score
I removed the silicone to try and find the leak source - a hole had appeared in the silicone where water was seeping out (in the circled area)

Craig Watson

Plumber
GSR
Reaction score
This looks a little suspicious, your tray should be fully tiled in, then sealed, then shower screen fitted and screen sealed. It's common for diyers and even some plumbers to fit the screen and then seal up to it. If this is the case and the pic suggests it might be, I'd recommend removing the screen all together, re sealing the tray then refit the screen and re seal the screen on the outside only.

20190525_192445.jpg

OP
A

alichambersUK

Reaction score
OK mate, cheers. I may end up doing that.

If any more photos close up would help, say and I'll post...

Craig Watson

Plumber
GSR
Reaction score
As I'm only a basic DIYer, would a plumber be best to do this?
Depends on how competent you are. It's not difficult by any means. The hardest part is getting the screws out of the wall profile without either rounding them off or snapping them. Also if the wall profile has been stuck back to the wall with silicone then you may bend them getting them off.

Best

Trusted
Plumber
Reaction score
The frames are really not well sealed from factory and designed to drain water to inside of door, so just apply bead of silicone to the outside horizontal joint and vertical joints.
Joint between tray and tiles behind door is critical to seal, as Craig mentioned

OP
A

alichambersUK

Reaction score
The frames are really not well sealed from factory and designed to drain water to inside of door, so just apply bead of silicone to the outside horizontal joint and vertical joints.
Joint between tray and tiles behind door is critical to seal, as Craig mentioned
Any chance you could describe how to do this in a bit more detail - I'm learning so a bit of a newbie.. ta :)

Best

Trusted
Plumber
Reaction score
Any chance you could describe how to do this in a bit more detail - I'm learning so a bit of a newbie.. ta :)
Bead of silicone at tile to tray joint where door to go before screwing on door profile.
Use good quality silicone and often best clear silicone with chrome doors.
Just cut the tip of nozzle a straight cut big enough for a small width of bead.
When rubbing the silicone smooth, use a Fuji kit (which is a kit that has shaped rubber pieces that remove the silicone to a neat bead)

Reaction score
It doesn't matter how much silicone you use if it's not done behind the wall profile at the bottom to the tray your wasting your time hope this helps

YorkshireDave

Plumber
Reaction score
Before you put more silicone anywhere, you MUST remove ALL of the old silicone AND it must be fully dry. Romove it with silicone eater & then use isopropyl alcohol to clean too.
Have fun

Forum Sponsors

Corgi - Plumbing Supplies for Professional Plumbers

Plumbase - Plumbing Parts for Plumbers

Underflor Heating Systems by uHeat

Wetroom Supplies by Wetroom Store

Nicobond - Wetroom and Tiling Supplies

Corgi - Plumbing Supplies for Professional Plumbers

Top Bottom