Search the forum,

Discuss Leaks and odd sounds (or lack thereof...) in the Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi folks,
I apologise that what I ask might be very uninformed and silly, but I have to admit to having virtually no DIY skills or understanding of plumbing systems whatsoever! The other day the radiator in my kitchen began to make a hissing sound that did not cease when the radiator was bled. A day later I noticed that the overflow water heater tank in the attic was continuously filling at a fairly constant rate. A family member suggested there may be a leak under the house, and if so, it is losing water at the rate that the overflow tank is filling. So to try stop this, I have closed all the radiators, and used string to force the ballcock shut. The overflow tank is now empty, stopping the loss of water from the potential leak until we can get a plumber to come check it out.

However, soon after the tank emptying, our heating system began to make a sound similar to the one it does when turned on. I can only describe it as a strong wind mixed with the sound of rushing water. This went on for about 2 hours and has suddenly stopped. Literally, like someone flipped an off switch! I'm worried that this sound, or the sudden lack of sound, is some new other problem! Can anyone help explain what might be going on?

I have no knowledge of heating systems and boilers. If I had to make a guess from climbing around my attic following pipes, I think what this might be is the water flushing from the system. If so, does it make sense that it might take ~2 hours for water to flush entirely? And has all this water now been lost through the suspected leak?

Thanks in advance!
G

Best to turn your boiler / heating system off as there’s no water / low as it’s emptied due to a leak

did you shut both valves of the rad you heard the noise by ?

Best to turn your boiler / heating system off as there’s no water / low as it’s emptied due to a leak

did you shut both valves of the rad you heard the noise by ?
I shut both valves on all radiators throughout the house! I also have not turned on the boiler the entire time since I notice the water filling the overflow tank, which made me even more suspicious1

Did you turn the timer off ?

Would double check as the noise you heard is the pump running if it runs dry eg no water for a long time it can damage it

Reply to Leaks and odd sounds (or lack thereof...) in the Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock