Search the forum,

Discuss Leaking waste pipes under kitchen sink in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi - Novice here. Under our kitchen sink, the waste pipes are grey, with a green moving 'lip' and then a cover peice that in theory tightens over the connection. The two downward pipes from the sinks go into a cross pipe (along with the washing machine outflow) which then leads outside. However, if any volume of water goes down from the sink, it backs up to the joins and leaks out. I just can't get the downward pipes to commect into the corss pipe tight enough. How are these stupid pipes meant to work? Where can I get replacement pipes that slot together easily (without welding) - I've looked at Screwfix etc but they don't see to have many variations of pipe. Thanks for any advice.

Has this always happened?? Try cleaning the pipes ( use vinegar & bicarbonate soda ) or buy drain cleaner your choice . I believe vinegar & bi carb is same thing at fraction of cost though

Swap em out for one of these kits you may need other fittings but in most cases it will work out . Kop

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210908-184725.png
    Screenshot_20210908-184725.png
    473.8 KB · Views: 7
OP is from Kent.

Probably the green moving lip hasn't gone into the internal cone of the fitting properly. It might be possible to clean it up, refit it correctly and it'll work, or it may be damaged and won't seal now. Should be airtight so shouldn't leak even if the water backs up.

From the description it sounds like a sink waste trap assembly that you might have to buy as a unit even though there are several separate parts involved. Which may be why you can't find what you need from Screwfix.

Thanks for the replies. I've found myself having to try and tighten the joints every few months and it has previously worked, but not working at the moment. Where would you get an assembly from? Are they a standard size? It just seems like the weight of the cross pipe pulls apart the joints from the downpipes when it gets a lot of water in it.

Thanks but the Mcalpine is for a double or 1.5 bowl. How do you adjust it - I don't want anything where I have to start cutting pipes.
Sometimes you have to cut the adjustable stem piece that comes in the kit, without having seen your setup (again photos usually helpful), you might be able to fit a SK1a kit which is for bowl and half. McAlpine SK/1/A & SSK2 Trap Kit Bowl & 1/2 SK/1/A - https://www.toolstation.com/mcalpine-sk1a-ssk2-trap-kit/p89891?store=LC&utm_source=googleshopping&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=googleshoppingfeed&mkwid=s_dc&pcrid=515847200312&pkw=&pmt=&gclid=Cj0KCQjw4eaJBhDMARIsANhrQACzWTnlcZd_zyG09xr7VEYxnGdZ6k6bg6dWjXniHoFuFVFh6LKgdQAaAnezEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

Reply to Leaking waste pipes under kitchen sink in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
I was stupid enough not to check the position of the pipes under the tiles when installing a toilet and drilled right through the center of a 16 mm copper water pipe. I exposed the pipe by removing a ~30cm section of the plastic sleeve and a ~10 cm section of the pipe around the hole. Several...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I'm would like to extend an existing outside tap to another point in the garden. I'm about to pour a concrete patio and was hoping to run the water line underneath. There are existing drain (and who knows what) pipes running along the same wall so I'm nervous about digging too far...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock