Search the forum,

Discuss Leaking toilet cistern in the Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Solutions
Hi all, further to my replacement of a cictern syphon, I have a small leak I can not seem to sort out. I have tightened the plastic nut as tight as I dare as I expect it is close to snapping.
What can I do to stop the leak please as my wife is now seriously not impressed with me replacing a damp towel every day in the bathroom!

Screenshot 2022-06-29 104632.png

Either leaking from the bolts eg through the cistern

Or as above new donut

I replaced the donut, removed and replaced the whole lot twice and it still leaked!

The bottom of the cistern has a crack, visible only from peering inside with the lid off so I wondered if there is a hairline crack. I have got so frustrated I tightened up the nylon bolts pretty tight so I might have messed up there.

Anyway, I put silicon over the length of the crack and left it for 2h and it has been OK since so I hope that now lasts for a few years.

Thanks to you all for the help

I replaced the donut, removed and replaced the whole lot twice and it still leaked!

The bottom of the cistern has a crack, visible only from peering inside with the lid off so I wondered if there is a hairline crack. I have got so frustrated I tightened up the nylon bolts pretty tight so I might have messed up there.

Anyway, I put silicon over the length of the crack and left it for 2h and it has been OK since so I hope that now lasts for a few years.

Thanks to you all for the help
Oh crap! It's still leaking but very slowly

Try undoing the plastic bolts 1/2 a turn

The story continues!
  1. Leaking more
  2. We then got a plumber in - I know, what a failure!
  3. He's replaced the plastic stuff with metal, added some white mastic, new washers etc.
  4. It was still leaking. He came back and sorted it.
  5. It is still dropping 5-10 drops a night down the spindle of one of the screws and I have tightened and loosened the butterfly bolt to no avail (in fact I tightened it too much initially and the washer started to get squished out the side)
I am defeated - he hasn't sent a bill in to us (a week ago now) so I think he wants no more of it LOL

My current idea is a new cistern

My current idea is a new cistern
I think that this was inevitable once you found the split in the existing cistern (post #5). Once started, cracks propagate until they hit a boundary and silicone is at best going to be a temporary measure.

Yeah maybe, the plumber seemed to think it was sound but I think it must be cracked after all these attempts.

Last question then is does anyone recognise this cistern please as we need to match ideally as we now have vinyl floor down?
IMG-20220701-WA0000~2.jpeg

Maybe heritage

New cistern advisable but if you feel up to one more attempt give the bottom of the cistern a "skim coat" of Puraflex 40. It's my favorite failsafe stick and fill almost anything to anything and I've fixed water tanks with it and all sorts.

New cistern advisable but if you feel up to one more attempt give the bottom of the cistern a "skim coat" of Puraflex 40. It's my favorite failsafe stick and fill almost anything to anything and I've fixed water tanks with it and all sorts.
Thanks, I'll pop to B&Q today to look for that. There was a load of similar in the cistern so it may have been like this for a while before we moved in.

Reply to Leaking toilet cistern in the Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock