Search the forum,

Discuss Leaking toilet cistern pipe to valve in the Australia area at PlumbersForums.net

1.jpg

Hello I wanted to fit an isolating valve to the supply to the toilet cistern so as to reduce the water pressure. The cistern has a shutoff valve with a small rubber diaphragm type shut off and if pressure is to high it keeps filling and overflows into toilet.

I have posted a photo, new copper pipe cut with pipe cutter and some ptf tape on thread. I put a bit extra on pipe that comes out of cistern as its plastic and it was leaking without the extra tape. It is still leaking and I am hoping some one can tell me what would be best type of fitting to use to get a proper connection onto the cistern pipe.

I know of flexi connectors but don’t know what size type would be best. Any help much appreciated. Thank You
2.jpg

View attachment 41246
Hello I wanted to fit an isolating valve to the supply to the toilet cistern so as to reduce the water pressure. The cistern has a shutoff valve with a small rubber diaphragm type shut off and if pressure is to high it keeps filling and overflows into toilet.

I have posted a photo, new copper pipe cut with pipe cutter and some ptf tape on thread. I put a bit extra on pipe that comes out of cistern as its plastic and it was leaking without the extra tape. It is still leaking and I am hoping some one can tell me what would be best type of fitting to use to get a proper connection onto the cistern pipe.

I know of flexi connectors but don’t know what size type would be best. Any help much appreciated. Thank You
View attachment 41247
Before you carry on scouse I would take a long hard look at the connections to determine
just where the leak is dripping from...from your pics I can see up to 3+ likely places..do not
always just go for the obvious with water ..its lazy stuff and can be a puzzle.
Get some bog paper and work downwards to check just where the leak.s might be
coming from....also do you know where and does your mains supply switch off, if not
its best to find it before you go too much further...centralheatking

If I were in your shoes, I would take on board what CHK has said above. Then replace the cistern inlet valve with a quality one that has a brass stem and a high pressure insert. Keep the isolation valve, but have it fully open - if you use the isolation valve to try to reduce the flow ( it wont change the pressure) it just creates noise.

Connecting (without leaks) to a threaded plastic stems with a brass connector is more of an art than a science. If you don’t get it right first time give up and buy a valve with a brass stem.

Joking apart, don’t underestimate the damage that these connections can cause if and when then fail. They are very often the weakest point in the cold water supply to a domestic dwelling

Last edited:
inlet valve looks cross threaded

Hello Thank you all for the advice I know it is the inlet valve connection that’s leaking (more of a weep than a leak)I have used the tissue test before.
I have purchased a Flomasta Flush valve kit might as well replace the innards in one go. It has a brass shank so eliminates the metal to plastic problem.
The old cistern retaining bolts are badly rusted and once the cistern is off I can give the whole thing a good clean.
I didn’t realise that you could buy these with a metal shank, I thought all modern ones were plastic lol
Thanks Again

1. You don't have to remove the cistern to change the inlet valve.
2. If you do remove the cistern, you will also need a new "doughnut" washer. They aren't all the same.
3. If your leak is coming from the connection between the new copper pipe and the plastic threaded shank of the inlet valve, the most likely culprit is failure to put a new fibre washer into the connection.
4. Putting PTFE tape on threads, other than on tapered threads, is a compete waste of time with respect to creating a seal. The seal is made by the olive or fibre washer (depending on the type of connection). It is not made on the threads. I know some people think it reduces friction, but so would a tiny drop of oil or thin smear of silicone grease.

You did replace the fibre/ rubber washer on the connection to the valve didn’t you ?

I wanted to fit an isolating valve to the supply to the toilet cistern so as to reduce the water pressure. The cistern had a shutoff valve with a small rubber diaphragm type shut off and if pressure was to high it kept filling and overflowed into toilet.
Having replaced the old mechanisms in the cistern I no longer needed the valve and I can now increase the water pressure without it affecting the cistern.
Thanks for the reminder though

Reply to Leaking toilet cistern pipe to valve in the Australia area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi. I need a new toilet supply line but don’t know the size type of the fitting at the shut off valve. It is not 3/8 compression. It is a plastic nut about the same size as the one going into the cistern but has a different thread. Attached is a photo. Can you advise. Thanks.
Replies
Views
Hello, I have to replace the flush valve and/or the washer but unfortunately it's inside the vanity unit. The only way is removing the toilet. I turned the screw on the cistern pipe to stop the water. I removed all the silicon around the toilet, now I can easily lift up the Front panel but...
Replies
Views
Suddenly my downstairs toilet stopped filling this week, I suspected a blockage in the filter or cistern itself, however after removal of everything it appears that there is no water coming in, its mains fed and no sign of leak anywhere , we have checked the isolation valve and its not faulty...
Replies
Views
Hi Just had a new bathroom installed with a toilet bowl that reaches the back wall. Its has a bottom entry cold feed to the cistern. The fitter put an isolation valve on the pipe work for this :-(, the copper pipe comes up from a plastic pipe push fit. See photo. I did a tissue paper test and...
Replies
Views
I have fitted this brass float valve to my toilet cistern. Obviously the inlet is the same level as the overflow pipe so it needs to be water tight. The inlet pipe is not flexible and enters the cistern at a slight angle to the side of the cistern, the washer I used is not squishy. The result...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock