Search the forum,

Discuss Leaking Toilet - can hole be repaired? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi all,

I discovered earlier today water leaking out of the front of the base of the downstairs toilet. I could not find any water coming from external connections so dismantled the toilet to have a look underneath (I'm a real DIY novice so I'm kind of amazed I did this! :)). Below is an image of the underside of the toilet bowl.

Could someone please advise me if I would be able to simply seal this or do I need to completely replace the toilet. If it can be repaired, what would be the best sealant to use? It only needs to be a temporary repair as I'm going to be getting major work done on the house shortly (in next 6-12 months). This bathroom will be getting completely ripped out and the layout changed as part of a new extension. This planned work is why I'd rather avoid having to buy a new toilet just now.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

IMG_0576.JPG

Needs replacing but shove a decent amount of silicon in it should last you until your rip out / works start

Thanks very much for the quick replies. I'll attempt the temporary repair and hopefully it'll last long enough until my building work starts. Thanks again.

Good suggestions here but for easy DIY repair I'd recommend some CT1 sealant as has already been suggested. It'll stick and cure properly even if surfaces are wet so should make a reliable temporary repair.

Thanks to everyone for the replies.

Just to update in case it helps anyone else - after seeing KOPs reply yesterday morning, I decided to try CT1. I'd never heard of it before so I Googled it, and found mostly rave reviews as well as a few good demo vids on YouTube. I managed to pick up a cartridge of the white colour on Amazon for just over £10 (I have Amazon Prime so got offered free same day delivery too which was very handy!).

I smothered a very generous amount of it over the hole - probably way more than needed, but as Turnpin mentioned above, nobody's going to see it :)

It's only been a day, so early days yet, but so far so good. Don't know if it'll hold out for the 6 months or so I need but the repair's only cost me a tenner so worth a try (and I now know how to dismantle and reassemble a toilet :cool: ).

Thanks again all.

I thought I'd report back here in case anyone else is thinking of using CT1 and wondering how long it will hold out for. My bathroom with the repaired toilet was only ripped out last week. The leak never returned after I did the repair, so the CT1 repair lasted nearly 9 months.

Thanks again to folks on here for the advice. It was much appreciated.

Reply to Leaking Toilet - can hole be repaired? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock