Search the forum,

Discuss Leaking tap in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
L

luca

A plumber Installed in May 2011 a new mixer tap per the pics attached.

In the last couple of months water has started to leak from underneath the tap lever per the pic of which I dont know why. Its not a huge amount of water leaking but noticeable enough every day. Does anyone know why the tap is leaking & how to correct? It should not be leaking at all as its a relatively new tap. Perhaps the plumber did not install it correctly & forgot to add the necessary washers internally? Perhaps there is limescale build up causing this? Perhaps the tap was faulty in the first place. Let me know your thoughts as it could get worse.

Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_2800.jpg
    IMG_2800.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_2799.jpg
    IMG_2799.jpg
    84.2 KB · Views: 34
Nothing to do with the plumber installing it.

did you buy the tap or did the plumber?

i bought the mixer tap brand new and passed it to the plumber for installation. do you know what the cause of the leak is?

I'll be honest and say i hate them taps, the rotational movement applied to them over and over again always seems to end up causing problems and leaks by either washers being worn down or the tap actually loosening itself off after a while.
You may get away with just the washer and/or cartridge being changed, the taps not a kick in the bum off 3 years old so i don't think you can blame the original installer.
:)

Its not installer error. There is nothing that he could do wrong which would be fine for 3 years and then do this.

Its worth trying the original supplier depending on what the warranty was. If its one or two years, you are out of luck. If its 3 yrs or more, you could be ok for a replacement.

i bought the mixer tap brand new and passed it to the plumber for installation. do you know what the cause of the leak is?

As you supplied the taps, warranty and responsibility is with you
Not likely any use as I'm betting they had a one year warranty.

As for the leak
Wear and tear
likely poor quality tap too.
(Dont let the price you pay deceive you on quality)

a certain chain of bathroom retailers, their top of the range stuff is poorer quality than their budget line.

Look for bristan or francis pegler taps as a replacement in my opinion.

Tough poop, buy cheap pay twice. You need to look at tap quality rather than in the plumbers direction.

Hi Luca

These taps have a cartridge with rubber "o" ring seals in them.

If you know the manufacture of the tap, get a service replacement kit, else a new cartridge, else get a new tap.

Thems are really your only options

Russ

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Leaking tap in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

B
Hi I have a monobloc mixer tap which is 18mths old. a leak appeared underneath in the cupboard which looked to be coming from the flexi tail M8 end I replaced the new tails but when connecting up (hand tight)the leak is worse, is this a tail issue or could it be a cartridge perhaps, I have used...
Replies
Views
Some advice please about a really worrying problem. I live in a terraced 2 bed room house. 10 days ago the gas combi boiler stopped heating the radiators but still gave hot water to the shower and taps. Naturally we thought there was a fault with the boiler. We had already arranged a yearly...
Replies
Views
Good evening, I'd like your opinion on something that is worrying me please: my landlady's plumber replaced the bottom/night element of my 20-year-old unvented cylinder (an Ariston Classico HE STD 150) 5 days ago and I hadn't noticed that it was leaking. He fixed the leak today but now the...
Replies
Views
I have fitted a new set of mono mixer taps to new bathroom basin pedestal and for some reason, I’m unable to get the tap hole/base ring watertight regardless how I adjust the supplied horseshoe tap fixing plate/washers. (tested this by pouring some water over the tap base ring area and it...
Replies
Views
I recently had a plumber come over to look at a badly leaking shower head. As best I can recall, he described the problem as a crack in the bridge of the cold water pipe and explained that there were two options: 1. Get into the wall with a jackhammer to fix the problem; or 2. Install one of...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock