Search the forum,

Discuss Leaking Stop Tap in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
E

easyt

My stop tap is leaking slightly around the spindle. Not a lot but it won't get better. Is it a packed gland that's failed and how do I rectify. I don't think I need to shut off outside to do this (or do I ). The water board are fitting a new stop tap in the high way as the old one is shot.

try tightening the gland nut first of all
Did that 5 years ago OP. Started to leak again though. If I tighten any more probably be too stiff for OH. (Actually the way my hand joints are probably me too). :D

Last edited by a moderator:
undo packing gland nut pull up, wrap ptfe around and push ptfe inside with gland nut and tighten. use bit of grease as well makes tap easier to turn. no dont have to turn water off

Is it worth clearing out any old packing ? I suppose I need a good few turns of PTFE tape. Any guidance ?

no need take out old packing. dont go to made with ptfe you wont get the nut back on

Wool and lanolin grease was used at one time. PTFE seems good as well, with a bit of grease.

Thanks for the advice eveyone.

I tiled part of the floor and back wall to dado height in the WC today and fitted a new toilet. I was looking forwards to using it. All pipes nicely replaced and then I realised. .... No tap connector in my bits box. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Thank god for the caravan.

They don't teach you repacking a gland on level 2. Or at least there's no practical on it that I remember. They might mention it in passing one snoozy morning in the classroom when you're staring at the secretary.

Most of the things I now do in my capacity as a wannabe-jobbing plumber were not things we practised in college. Lot of time spent memorising British Standard numbers and trying to phathom how to assault lead into an agreeable shape but no time spent weeping over stubborn WC or taps.

I wish we'd spent some decent time on things like how to make solid fixings to crappy walls. Or showers! Never a word mentioned about showers. The whole subject still eludes me. All I know I've worked out myself by interrogating them in dark bathrooms while the customer isn't looking.

Use a nut and ring. Tighten it onto a fitting first to compress ring if plastic ballcock.

Thanks all. Job done. I have had a new stop tap fitted and for some reason the pressure is now much higher. That stop tap is OK but now I have two dripping taps.

Hi! old plumber!

Not much else you can write about a taps stuffing box is there? Could I suppose have gone on about nitrile rubber, teflon and so on seals and all that, but hey, I am enough of a windbag as it is!

He's done the job now! as well! :) :)

That is SO true....exactly how im finding things. It seemed all good at the time but showers, repairs etc. i agree not a word!

They don't teach you repacking a gland on level 2. Or at least there's no practical on it that I remember. They might mention it in passing one snoozy morning in the classroom when you're staring at the secretary.

Most of the things I now do in my capacity as a wannabe-jobbing plumber were not things we practised in college. Lot of time spent memorising British Standard numbers and trying to phathom how to assault lead into an agreeable shape but no time spent weeping over stubborn WC or taps.

I wish we'd spent some decent time on things like how to make solid fixings to crappy walls. Or showers! Never a word mentioned about showers. The whole subject still eludes me. All I know I've worked out myself by interrogating them in dark bathrooms while the customer isn't looking.

I totally agree, I'm not knocking college as it provided all the background knowledge, but you learn most things out there working. A bit like taking driving lessons, then actually driving by yourself.

Then it's a question of how many mistakes you have to make to aquire your know-how (and how much they cost you). Some mistakes I will never ever do again, but even though I'm an expert after all these years, I'm still making them ! Especially when my customer's watching...

You don't have to make mistakes to learn, just learn your trade and understand how things work.

Depends how you learn your trade. Not at college I suppose. Maybe you have been able to work with great guys who have passed on their know how to you. If you are self employed, or even employed but working on your own, it can be difficult to pick up all the info. How did you manage to do it? I don't think I make many mistakes really, but everyone seems to have a story or two to tell.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Leaking Stop Tap in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock