Search the forum,

Discuss Leaking/spitting from somewhere in the airing cupboard in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Evening all,

Last time I posted, you achieved the impossible - you managed to talk me through a plumbing fix (I'm not exactly Mr DIY).

I need some more advice if possible. We've noticed some of the stuff in our airing cupboard has got stained by rusty water & it looks like there's a leak somewhere that's spitting when the pressure builds up. I've attached a few pics to show where I think the leak has developed.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/di7hri0db18ig6r/AACS_UbfW3_qHn09Q9IXzeMBa?dl=0

Looks like the small water cylinder is the source of the leak - when I feel it, there's some flaky rust, but no obvious holes, but if you can see clear enough from the pics, there's a drip that has left a track back to the spot I'm talking about.

Do you reckon the cylinder needs replacing, or will there be more that needs doing, and is this a job for a professional? The house is only 5 years old, so I'm surprised this this has rusted through already.

Cheers for any input.

Paul.

You would appear to have an unvented cylinder. So DIY is an absolute no no. You need a G3 registered engineer to take a look at it for you. These are like bombs if done wrong.

Oh right. Thanks for the word of warning. To be honest I wasn't looking forward to it anyway, I'd have been a nervous wreck trying it. I can see on the web these things are over £200 which is a nightmare, but that's life.

I can see from the spatters on the door frame that it's been spitting with some force. Is this an urgent fix then?

Guess I better find a good plumber up here in Lancs. Thanks for the advice.

*To the Moderators, should I start a new thread in the "looking for a plumber" section, or would you prefer to move this thread to avoid duplication?*

Anyway, I'm looking for a G3 registered plumber in the Clitheroe area if anyone can suggest a good plumber around here.

Cheers,

Paul.

You would appear to have an unvented cylinder. So DIY is an absolute no no. You need a G3 registered engineer to take a look at it for you. These are like bombs if done wrong.

I think it's on the solar system mate

Op do you have solar panels ??

*To the Moderators, should I start a new thread in the "looking for a plumber" section, or would you prefer to move this thread to avoid duplication?*

Anyway, I'm looking for a G3 registered plumber in the Clitheroe area if anyone can suggest a good plumber around here.

Cheers,

Paul.

And new thread in that section is fine

Sorry, I should have said. Yes there are solar panels & the tank pictured is a Zilmet11A-SOLARPLUS.

May I ask when was the last time you had the solar system looked at / serviced also same question regarding the unvented cylinder

May I ask when was the last time you had the solar system looked at / serviced also same question regarding the unvented cylinder

Erm, embarrassingly neither has ever been serviced or checked at all. I always just kinda wait til something goes wrong before calling someone to look at it.

Erm, embarrassingly neither has ever been serviced or checked at all. I always just kinda wait til something goes wrong before calling someone to look at it.

might be worth looking for someone who is solar and g3 qualified and get them both serviced at the same time,

and as you have said a few posts up your more than welcome to post the job up in here [DLMURL="http://www.ukplumbersforums.co.uk/im-looking-plumber-gas-engineer/"]I'm looking for a Plumber or Gas Engineer[/DLMURL] to see if anyone is local and able to help

Just a thought for you , are the installers details available , stickers / label anywhere ?
The aquasystem vessel is for your cylinder the zilmet vessel is for your solar.

Good call, as there was a sticker, but he's about an hour away. I guess he does a lot of work for the house builders all over the place.

I'm wondering now that you've mentioned that, if this would be covered under buildings insurance.

if it was all installed when the house was new .I doubt you would get 5 years warrenty on a solar expansion vessel defiantly not on your cylinder vessel they are generaly 2. Just a heads up on your cylinder vessel , it must be checked for pressure ( part of the service ) if it isn't, it fills up with water and depending on how good the wall is that it is fastened to it can potentialy come of the wall , hit a pipe and flood your house . ( I have seen it happen )
just another reason for your service , most if not all unvented cylinders these days come with a 25 year guarantee ( providing its serviced )
You are just a little too far away for me to come over , ( its dodgy coming over to the "dark side " lol ) but as said , the original installer may be a good bet

I'm guessing from your location being the centre of the universe, your in York's lol. You don't want to dig out your passport to come over then.

I'll call the installer & see if he's doing work in this area. How often should a central heating system be serviced & what's the usual ball park charge for that?

I'm guessing from your location being the centre of the universe, your in York's lol. You don't want to dig out your passport to come over then.

I'll call the installer & see if he's doing work in this area. How often should a central heating system be serviced & what's the usual ball park charge for that?

It is strange most of Lancashire actually know where the " center of the universe " is lol .

Yep sorry again its just a bit too far, you realy need it servicing every year, thats why I suggested the original installer , but he may only install and not service . You will get loads of us guys to do the cylinder and your boiler but solar guys , especialy up here are very few . You could also talk to the solar system's manufacturers , they will use their own men or subbies and may pass a number on . Good luck .

I don't begrudge people making a little on supplying parts, but I saw an opportunity to save £180. I think it's the wrong size anyway, so I'll just have to cough up for a new one. Cheers.

I don't begrudge people making a little on supplying parts, but I saw an opportunity to save £180. I think it's the wrong size anyway, so I'll just have to cough up for a new one. Cheers.

ive seen yours cheaper than 180 any way would think if you allow upto £80 for the vessel its fine

You're spot on. Yesterday when I searched, I found one for £220! Looking again now, I can see them for £65ish. Now I'm much happier.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Leaking/spitting from somewhere in the airing cupboard in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock