Search the forum,

Discuss Leaking soil pipe?! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
K

KENT2012

Hi all,

This is my first post here so bare with me!

I moved into a new Crest Nicholson house last February and last summer we had water coming through our wall after the upstairs toilet, directly above, was flushed. Crest sent a plumber round who lifted the outside manhole cover, which is located just outside the house, and said it was a blockage that had built up due to debris building up from builders chucking their waste down the drain before the house was built, however, he said that the blockage had now shifted itself so all should be fine.

Which it was, until this weekend. The same toilet was flushed and the same thing happened again....(photos below)

There isn't direct access to the internal soil pipe. The pipe is also shared with the bath, the en-suite toilet and shower but only happens when this one toilet is flushed (it's located almost directly above the soil pipe).

I have my own untrained and inexperienced thoughts as to what the cause may be but would very much appreciate feedback from those much wiser than myself. Especially if I can arm myself to with a bit of knowledge so i'm not fobbed off by Crest / plumber when they visit, (once they actually return my call!), especially as my 2 year Crest warranty expires in February.

If anyone requires any more info. just let me know.

Many thanks in advance.

DSCF0600.jpgDSCF0599.jpgDSCF0601.jpgDSCF0602.jpg

You don't need training to break this one down (pics are nice & prove you have water running down into you electrical system but do not tell us anything).
First you have an intermittent leak which appears to be connected with the first floor WC (if flushed it leaks ?) there are other fittings (WC, basins, etc) also connecting to the stack on this level & when these are used there is no leakage ?
I would be looking more closely at & around this WC.
It is clearly nothing to do with blocked outside drains, which would effect the other fitting as well as the WC in question (& I bet you have other connections to this stack on the ground floor, so why were these not overflowing ?)
Why do you think it is connected to the flushing of this WC, is it not used all the time ? Was anything else being used at the same time?
Put your request in writing (include the fact that they have attended for the same thing before) & when they turn up make it clear that as this the second time it has happened you will require them to show you would the problem is before it is repaired, even if this means removing the boxing in.
BTW welcome to forum.

Like chris said. I'd be checking the toilet for leaks. Perhaps around the donut washer area and see if the water is finding its way down via another route.

Call Crest up immediately and tell them it isn't fixed and that you want someone to visit ASAP; it shouldn't be down to you to research and resolve this. Get the persons name and email address and send these pictures along with some text that you believe it to be dangerous.

Thanks for the responses.

Yes, it is the main stack so the other fittings all go through this. The toilet in question is used, although not as often as the en-suite for example, but the bath and shower & en-suite toilet all go via the same stack. Both times it has done this is when tissue is present, although this may not be relevant as its been fine inbetween times.

The toilet was the only thing being used at the time. The leak is in exactly the same place as last time too.

I'm baffled as to why it is just the one toilet causing the leak in the same place as before when other toilets, shower, bath, etc all go through fine on a regular basis.

Yes it is an unusual one that needs investigation, rather than the wastes it is just as likely to be the float valve or flushing valve that is causing the problem.
Get them in & get it sorted, but please put it in writing so you have a record of what has happened, just in case it becomes an on going problem.
Good luck.

Its a law suit waiting to happen really aint it. Good luck in getting it rectified.

blocked or not the pipework shouldnt leak ask to see the record of the air test being completed on your property

I think the problem is on the upstairs toilet where the cistern is connected to the pan ,the rubber ring leaks when the water been flushed only.
With all that water on your CU probably a death trap.Call the builders to sort it out urgently .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Leaking soil pipe?! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended floor. Pic 1 is inside porch, pex temporarily clipped to give an idea of pipe placement (ignore shoddy blockwork of booted cowboy builder!), Pic 2 is...
Replies
Views
Hi guys. I'm trying to identify a toilet model before ordering a seat for a customer. I went to what used to be a Roca stockist (they no longer are) and one of the guys there reckoned it might be "The Gap". I went to the new stockist and the guy there disagreed it was "The Gap" and that he'd...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock