Search the forum,

Discuss leaking sink at drain in the Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi there.

I've had a choked pipe and as part of getting it cleared, the drainage guys used our kitchen drain to access with a drain unblocker. They reassembled the drain after, but now the drain is dripping from where the sink attached to the tea, at the first washer. I've tried cleaning/drying/PTE taping a few times but with no luck.

IMG_20200711_193024~2.jpg
IMG_20200711_193030~2.jpg
IMG_20200711_193050.jpg

When I tighten the female connector to hand tight, it slips back maybe two turns.

Is there anything else I can do or try myself?

Is that a notch in the rubber seal? Does it have to locate in something above? Or is the nut split?

Hi there.

I've had a choked pipe and as part of getting it cleared, the drainage guys used our kitchen drain to access with a drain unblocker. They reassembled the drain after, but now the drain is dripping from where the sink attached to the tea, at the first washer. I've tried cleaning/drying/PTE taping a few times but with no luck.

View attachment 44526View attachment 44527View attachment 44528

When I tighten the female connector to hand tight, it slips back maybe two turns.

Is there anything else I can do or try myself?
Take off the U bend piece to allow movement and check that the down pipe is properly lined up and pushed fully home before tightening. If it is jumping threads,'slipping back,' it sounds like it may not be, and holding on the last few threads only. The male thread looks fine btw.

Thanks for the replies.
Is that a notch in the rubber seal? Does it have to locate in something above? Or is the nut split?
No notch in the seal, think it's just wet in that photo. There's nothing that I can see on u bend fitting that looks like there's anything to fit into either.

Nut doesn't look split from the top or the sides as far as I can see!

Take off the U bend piece to allow movement and check that the down pipe is properly lined up and pushed fully home before tightening. If it is jumping threads,'slipping back,' it sounds like it may not be, and holding on the last few threads only. The male thread looks fine btw.

Took the u bend piece off and lined it up. I pushed the straight part firmly into the drain, and tightened, to the same effect.

One thing I did notice is that when I reattched the u bend part, it was pushing the straight pipe forwards

Attached a video of me tightening it by hand. Before I even get any resistance it "pops" and jumps back. This is without the u bend attached to the bottom of it.

It`s like the nut is hitting the top before being tight, as if there is something missing but I can`t think what it is- sorry.

It`s like the nut is hitting the top before being tight, as if there is something missing but I can`t think what it is- sorry.
No problem at all, I appreciate the help! I'll give the guy who fitted it a call this week and see if he has any idea!

The seal looks very close to the end of the pipe. Slide it down, or better, take it right off then take the nut off of the pipe too and see how it feels when you screw the nut alone onto the male thread.

The seal looks very close to the end of the pipe. Slide it down, or better, take it right off then take the nut off of the pipe too and see how it feels when you screw the nut alone onto the male thread.

Thanks! I took the seal off, but the nut doesn't come off the pipe. I screwed the nut back on with no seal, and it tightened properly and appears to be holding!!

Is this ok to leave like this? It feels like I should have a seal in there.

The seal looks like it sits on a lip or seat so I don't think it can be slid down the pipe as it's got to be on that lip to work. I like your idea of just trying the nut alone but because of that lip the nut is probably captive on there. There is a chance there are slots cut in the nut like you see on brass pump nuts to allow it to come off the pipe though.

It looks to me like everything that should be there is there. I reckon that plastic nut has been over tightened once in the past and stretched a little bit, causing it to jump the thread each time it is nearly fully tight.

A proper repair would be to replace the spigoted trap but if it was in my house I reckon I'd get that sealed using the "correct" amount (loads) of PTFE tape in place of the black rubber seal. Bulk it out a bit in PTFE and see if it'll go back together and stay dry.

Another tip whilst we're here, I always test waste connections with hot water for a couple of minutes rather than just running cold through it as I have had a callback in the past for a leaking trap I'd worked on. It did not leak when I ran cold through it but when the customer ran hot water through it it leaked a bit. My theory being that the hot water caused just enough expansion/deformation of the fitting to cause a weep so now I always test with hot water as well.

Reply to leaking sink at drain in the Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock