Search the forum,

Discuss Leaking Shower in the Bathrooms, Showers and Wetrooms area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi, we have a rectangle three walled tiled shower with acrylic base that is leaking in both corners - was only built approx two years ago so really not wanting to replace. So far have had the original plumber and tiler look at it but couldn’t find the source of the leak. Silicone where the tray meets the tiles has just been replaced and pipes tested. Anyone else seen a water pattern like this? We are at a loss as to where it’s coming from. On one side the water didn’t appear until a few hours after the shower so could be travelling quite far.

Attachments

• 0C60AF79-2358-4A5F-A356-B049FB578C09.jpeg
    0C60AF79-2358-4A5F-A356-B049FB578C09.jpeg
    384.7 KB · Views: 27
  • 2A25F621-E21C-402E-8669-6A114C0644D7.jpeg
    2A25F621-E21C-402E-8669-6A114C0644D7.jpeg
    399.7 KB · Views: 25
  • 7CC1C13E-0EC8-4EFC-9288-5DB637FACA7B.jpeg
    7CC1C13E-0EC8-4EFC-9288-5DB637FACA7B.jpeg
    416 KB · Views: 26
Need additional pics really.

Is the shower concealed? Is it dual outlet (overhead and handheld)? I have in the past come across a similar issue and the water was leaking from the handheld wall outlet and down the back of the tiles.

Took a little while to show after a shower as the wall had to become saturated before water was evident at the base.

Hi, we have a rectangle three walled tiled shower with acrylic base that is leaking in both corners - was only built approx two years ago so really not wanting to replace. So far have had the original plumber and tiler look at it but couldn’t find the source of the leak. Silicone where the tray meets the tiles has just been replaced and pipes tested. Anyone else seen a water pattern like this? We are at a loss as to where it’s coming from. On one side the water didn’t appear until a few hours after the shower so could be travelling quite far.
Hi, sorry here are a couple of photos of the whole shower. It doesn’t seem to be leaking along the back wall (as no evidence of water damage on the other side of that wall). Just at the two corners on the open wall of the shower.

Attachments

• 7037219E-A9A2-480D-A664-199D307618FF.jpeg
    7037219E-A9A2-480D-A664-199D307618FF.jpeg
    271.5 KB · Views: 20
  • 60C435D5-BAF9-46BB-999F-A9B901EEADB7.jpeg
    60C435D5-BAF9-46BB-999F-A9B901EEADB7.jpeg
    353.7 KB · Views: 25
Inside corners.

Attachments

• 82E5509E-5550-4707-BB41-560F4055F2BF.jpeg
    82E5509E-5550-4707-BB41-560F4055F2BF.jpeg
    434.4 KB · Views: 26
  • DF2D59B0-268F-471C-B107-F3CCC4638EA1.jpeg
    DF2D59B0-268F-471C-B107-F3CCC4638EA1.jpeg
    307.6 KB · Views: 22
Frame wall mounts do not look installed correctly. They look too high and the glass panels are not inserted enough.
There seems to be a gap at the bottom filled will silicone.
This is preventing them working as designed to direct water back into the tray.

I suspect water is running down the glass then entering the void below the wall mounts at the blue arrow (vertical/horizontal seam) or/and under the glass at the red arrow.

You may have some success with siliconing the glass to tray on the inside. However, this may cause other issues as the glass isn’t meant to be siliconed in this manor and may trap water under it, resulting in mould etc.

Really, the screen needs to come out and be installed correctly. This poses another issue as it looks like the screen is 10mm-20mm too short. You can buy extenders.

D5F88914-A0AE-4BF2-BB5E-50802F454213.jpeg

Probably best to get a copy of the installation instructions and see if anything doesn't appear correct. Normally you are not supposed to silicon the internal edge of the wall profile, so that if water gets into the screen/glass it can flow back into the tray.

The door has been fitted to the wall and then tiled up to the profiles - this is always wrong. The door should be fitted on top of the tiles.

Like the others, it also looks as if the door itself had been fitted incorrectly , as well as not on the tiles.

I’m afraid the door needs to come out really, clean every up and refit it further back into the shower recess- onto the tiled surface.
There appears to be a wide margin on the shower tray so this will be possible to resolve without having to do anything to the tiling , so it could be a lot worse.
Don’t worry it should be quite easy to resolve 🙂

The door has been fitted to the wall and then tiled up to the profiles - this is always wrong. The door should be fitted on top of the tiles.

Like the others, it also looks as if the door itself had been fitted incorrectly , as well as not on the tiles.

I’m afraid the door needs to come out really, clean every up and refit it further back into the shower recess- onto the tiled surface.
There appears to be a wide margin on the shower tray so this will be possible to resolve without having to do anything to the tiling , so it could be a lot worse.
Don’t worry it should be quite easy to resolve 🙂
Hi, the door and glass has been fitted onto the tiles (very edge of the tiles but on the tiles none the less). We didn’t initially have the door - it was just a walk in shower with a glass panel covering half the shower but added the door about six months later. Unfortunately I don’t know if it was leaking on that side before the door was installed as it’s only recently the water damage become more apparent.

The frame should be set onto the tray with approx 10mm if tray exposed. Then frame sealed externally to allow water in the frame to drain into the shower tray.
Yours is on the edge so any water getting into the frame will drain outside the tray.

My mistake, can’t see that very clearly on my phone.

So was the initial panel left in place and the door added to the other side, or was the panel removed and a whole new set up put in?

My mistake, can’t see that very clearly on my phone.

So was the initial panel left in place and the door added to the other side, or was the panel removed and a whole new set up put in?
Yes the initial panel was left there and the door was added in.
Thanks everyone for your suggestions, much appreciated, we will try do some testing today to confirm it’s the screen and door, looks like it could be if they weren’t installed properly.

Reply to Leaking Shower in the Bathrooms, Showers and Wetrooms area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock