Search the forum,

Discuss Leaking shower pipes in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Evening all,
I have had a leak in my shower, which after an investigation looks like it's may coming from the pipes behind. I decided to cut hole in the drywall behind the pipes to look for issues, however on drilling through 20mm of drywall I came across a secondary wall/insulation directly behind approximately 4 inch thick. Could this be asbestos? Looks dimpled and gray in colour with the consistency of cement. I will try and post pics. Thanks in advance for any advice.
20190930_211714.jpg

Attachments

• 20190930_211935.jpg
    20190930_211935.jpg
    885.5 KB · Views: 8
  • 20190930_211751.jpg
    20190930_211751.jpg
    548.2 KB · Views: 9
brease block wall with dot and dab plasterboard

brease block wall with dot and dab plasterboard
Hopefully this the case, would you recommend my action to create a viewing hatch behind pipes or would it be better to remove tiles from front side? I'm still not 100% sure this is where the leak is coming from, however leak is coming from above trap area and tray looks good. Must be substantial as I lose about half a pint of water in 15 min. I also have a viewing hatch in downstairs celling. I could do to call a pro but money is tight. Also I did take off the exposed shower mixer but cant see anything only the pipes coming through the wall.

Hopefully this the case, would you recommend my action to create a viewing hatch behind pipes or would it be better to remove tiles from front side? I'm still not 100% sure this is where the leak is coming from, however leak is coming from above trap area and tray looks good. Must be substantial as I lose about half a pint of water in 15 min. I also have a viewing hatch in downstairs celling. I could do to call a pro but money is tight. Also I did take off the exposed shower mixer but cant see anything only the pipes coming through the wall.

you can do either depends on what you want to put right afterwards

you sure its not coming from the seal against the wall - shower tray?

you can do either depends on what you want to put right afterwards

you sure its not coming from the seal against the wall - shower tray?
Dont think so as just put a new bead of plumbers gold around tray. Grout looks fine, I ran the shower just in the tray and it leaked and I'm sure there is no cracks in the tray and I filled it up with a bucket without leaks. Here is the view from underneath. The shower type is a Bristan exposed type.

Attachments

• 20190930_090709.jpg
    20190930_090709.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 20
does it leak when theres no water running eg no ones using the shower?

does it leak when theres no water running eg no ones using the shower?
No doesn't seem to, however I ran it for 15 min this morning and it only started leaking when I turned it off, could be a coincidence that it took this long to soak through, but it got me thinking that the turning it off stressed the pipes slightly, it stopped after a couple of minutes??
[automerge]1569879364[/automerge]
As per above matey. Looks like breeze block and dab with plasterboard. What is the view like from the shower side?

Please like this post if you find it helpful.

Attachments

• 20190930_223054.jpg
    20190930_223054.jpg
    795.5 KB · Views: 11
  • 20190930_223114.jpg
    20190930_223114.jpg
    789.7 KB · Views: 11
best way to find out put the hose into a bucket and turn it on / off a couple of times if it leaks its the shower if not then its the shower base/tray /maybe waste

best way to find out put the hose into a bucket and turn it on / off a couple of times if it leaks its the shower if not then its the shower base/tray /maybe waste
Good shout, I will try this tomorrow morning, waste and seals are bone dry.
[automerge]1569915470[/automerge]
Good shout, I will try this tomorrow morning, waste and seals are bone dry.
Run it into a bucket this morning for 30 min and NO leak from pipes, back to square one! I'm now gonna block the plug and fill tray again with water and apply pressure to all areas. Feeling now that I want to just smash the whole thing to smithereens!
[automerge]1569924434[/automerge]
Update:
filled sealed tray from bucket, no leak (applied pressure to tray)
Filled bucket from shower no leak
Ran shower directly into plug, no leak
Ran shower around sealant, no leak
Had shower, turned off, big leak?? Need pro help with this one, anyone give me an idea of cost to fix? I'm in the ip137jb area.

Last edited:

Reply to Leaking shower pipes in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all, I have a couple of leaks coming under shower tray downstairs. One is along the wall so think might be joint between wall and tray and the other seems to be near waste tray, there is a slight hairline crack in shower tray near waste . This happens when I leave the shower head near the...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Shower is leaking into downstairs when water is being aimed at wall . All sealant has been redone on outside and between shower tray and wall at the bottom on inside , can’t spot any leakages here. It runs down the wall downstairs beneath shower in lines , when water is sprayed at the...
Replies
Views
I recently had a plumber come over to look at a badly leaking shower head. As best I can recall, he described the problem as a crack in the bridge of the cold water pipe and explained that there were two options: 1. Get into the wall with a jackhammer to fix the problem; or 2. Install one of...
Replies
Views
Hi, I need some help on this shower drain installation. I’m about to install a corner shower kit in my basement bathroom. But I just found out the shower drain is actually extruded from the bottom of the shower base and I have concrete floor with the drain pipe rough in. I have the drain pipe...
Replies
Views
I have been facing central heating low pressure on unvented hot water RM Cylinders but can't see any leak on the PRV, expansion vessels and plasterboard celling. I have got unvented pressurized RM Cylinders hot water system with 27KW Worchester gas boiler with expansion vessels . When...
Replies
Views
losing pressure
L
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock