Search the forum,

Discuss Leaking Shower Pipe in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
N

natstan

Hello forum members!

I'm was hoping you could help me please?!

My shower (valve mixer type) is leaking, well the hot water pipe which is behind a tiled wall. We identified the leak by pulling up the carpet and floor boards outside the bathroom on the opposite side of the wall where the shower is fixed and were able to see the water and

The guy that fitted the bathroom which is just over a year old has suggested accessing the shower pipes from the hallway dry wall (think that's what you caLL it) to me this seems the most logical way and would require less work as we could easily build the wall back up or create an access panel.

Can you please advise if you think this is the best solution and or if there's anything else we need to consider?!

Thanks in advance!
Nat

Hi Nat
I agree with your plumber its best to access from the hallway dry wall.
it will be cheaper to access the pipes from here as you won't have to hack off the tiles and you should be able to locate the leak from here

Take his advice. How long has it been leaking

Thanks for your response - I'm not sure actually we spotted it because of water stains on the kitchen below which aren't huge. I just hope it's not a leaking shower valve, if it is, would that be a bigger problem?
Thanks

Nat

Thanks for you help all!

Any advice if it turns out to be a leaky valve? I only bought the shower just over a year ago and believe its under warranty for 5 years fortunately..

What make is it?

If it is a decent brand then as soon as you find it is the shower at fault call the manufacturer and they should have a process to get it sorted

Is the shower built into the wall or is it surface mounted as ive seen the surface ones not being properly sealed as they come through the wall , if built in then the only problem with coming from hallway side is if the plumbers put wood on to fix the shower then it can be awkward depending on the size of the wood,

Is the shower built into the wall or is it surface mounted as ive seen the surface ones not being properly sealed as they come through the wall , if built in then the only problem with coming from hallway side is if the plumbers put wood on to fix the shower then it can be awkward depending on the size of the wood,

Hi Kris
what do you use to seal the pipe holes coming through the wall?

Hi Kris

The valve is mounted onto the tiled walls and the pipes are behind the wall - sorry I'm not very clued up on these things so based on what I've told you im not sure what it is?!

Also what do you mean by 'plumbers put wood on to fix the shower'?

Also to be sensible, after the leak has been looked at and fixed, should we wait a while before sealing the dry wall back up just to ensure its not still leaking? Once we're satisified its fixed we can seal the wall back up?

Thanks again!
Nat

Also to be sensible, after the leak has been looked at and fixed, should we wait a while before sealing the dry wall back up just to ensure its not still leaking? Once we're satisified its fixed we can seal the wall back up?

Thanks again!
Nat

No need in my opinion. Once the leak has been fixed, it's pretty much done and you can go about sorting the wall out. Otherwise you'll be tempted to wait, and then wait a little more just to make sure. And then maybe wait a little more. You get the idea. Trust your plumber :teeth_smile:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Leaking Shower Pipe in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock