Search the forum,

Discuss Leaking sealant in the Bathrooms, Showers and Wetrooms area at PlumbersForums.net

I have a shower over the bath, the tiling was done after the bath was fitted and as far as I can work out there must be a gap between the bath and the wall. During a shower the water drips through the kitchen ceiling below. I have sealed it many, many times, and I've currently resorted to thick waterproof tape over sealant but of course that isn't working. I need a temporary fix until someone can come and sort it properly (or fit a new bathroom). It is a p shaped bath and I have really limited access under. I thought using expandable foam underneath and sealing the top again might help, although I don't know if I can reach all the way along. Maybe a wooden baton glued (no way I can get my arm and a drill under) to the bath and wall to block the gap but I'm guessing that would eventually soak through. I would love any better ideas that would be relatively easy for my limited diy skills.

Are you sure it’s the sealant that’s the issue? Remove the bath panel (if you’re able to), and look for water egress. Could actually be from the overflow.

As above it could be other things.

Water may be getting down the corner of the tiles.
If the shower head is fed from a pipe concealed in the wall it could be leaking where the head screws in through the tiles or off the top outlet on the mixer valve if that's concealed.

The panel is off, and I am almost certain it is coming from where the bath joins the wall, certainly not the waste because the wall is wet and the water doesn't run into the kitchen when I have a bath. The shower just connects to the tap with a bendy metal hose and I can see it isn't that. I'm fairly certain it isn't the taps, I can see the water disappearing down past the sealant / tape

Does the bath have a shower screen or curtain? I have been to a lot of leaks where water gets behind the screen wall trim and tracks down as the bath hasn't been sealed to the wall behind it.
Have you tried running the shower now the panel is off and point it slowly along the wall to see which area starts to leak?

Thank you all for your help! I've just had a shower and had a good look at what it going on, it looks like the bath has started to come away from from the frame (I think?!) there are at least three areas where the bath touches the frame or rather doesn't which are still dripping. The frame is screwed against the wall, which looks OK. I think I need a new frame but given that I might as well get a new bath (panel is completely split) I think a temporary fix will be OK. Whatever that might be!

Reply to Leaking sealant in the Bathrooms, Showers and Wetrooms area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock