Search the forum,

Discuss Leaking Rothenberger superfire 2 in the Plumbing Tools area at PlumbersForums.net

My Superfire 2 is now leaking gas from the pressure relief hole ( just below the trigger).
It is 14 months old and looks like new. The previous one did exactly the same but i think I got about 3 years out of it.
I spoke to Rothenberger . They tell me they wont warranty their torches if you use a third party gas canister and dont remove the canister after daily use.
My understanding is that it has something to do with effect of the gas long term on the O ring seals inside.
Plugging the hole is not only dangerous , it doesnt work and just leaks elsewhere (i know .i tried) . Apparently there are a number of seals inside the body that are for the regulator and they degrade. They are none user serviceable and the gun is manufactured in such a way that the regulator in the main body cannot be dismantled
I have also had a couple of Bernzomatics which have done the same . The general consensus is that Rothenbergers are Bernzomatics (rebranded)
They certainly look the same.
Looking through my graveyard tub of torches in the garage , I have Rothenbergers in there with not a single speck of black paint on them. I used to get 5 years from a torch and i have always used them heavily.

I would like to know if many others have had this problem and more interestingly i'm wondering if there is a relationship between starting to use mapp gas about 10 years ago and shortened torch life ( maybe acetylene degrades O rings more rapidly)

Thanks All

Had mine for 6 plus years nothing but they do sell rebuild kits for them

Yes and what ever my local has think it’s Roth

There's a rather excellent guide to the various modes of o-ring failures here:

If you do a post mortem on your failed torch and carefully remove the o-rings you'll probably be able to spot the cause. There's a link that allows you to check the compatibility of various o-ring materials with loads of chemicals.

I don't know what material Rothenberger uses for their o-rings but I've seen something like this in the past when some bright spark decided to substitute the designer-specified Viton (TM) o-rings with cheaper nitrile ones.

If you want to become an o-ring geek, here's another useful overview:

Reply to Leaking Rothenberger superfire 2 in the Plumbing Tools area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi All I have a leak coming from within my Mira Elite QT shower. It seems to be flowing from behind the switching Control. Any ideas what could be causing this leak. Already Changed the Pump Elbow as one of the clips had popped which was causing a second small leak, Any idea? Is it time to buy...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended floor. Pic 1 is inside porch, pex temporarily clipped to give an idea of pipe placement (ignore shoddy blockwork of booted cowboy builder!), Pic 2 is...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock