Search the forum,

Discuss Leaking radiator in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

I have a leaking radiator which in the last week has filled up half a saucepan of water. It’s the valve that is leaking at the bottom however I do not know what the name for this type of valve is called so any help would be appreciated. I am pretty good at general D.I.Y. But have little experience in plumbing and I was just wondering if this type of thing can be easily repaired/replaced by a complete novice such as myself. Is it as simple as tightening the valve if so what is the best method? I’ve circled the section that is leaking. Many thanks, Ste.

Attachments

• 28B4DB5A-8ED1-4571-BDA1-A747B3A9CE4D.jpeg
    28B4DB5A-8ED1-4571-BDA1-A747B3A9CE4D.jpeg
    481.2 KB · Views: 32
  • 8A3BC5A8-5438-452B-B21C-A0AEB5BDCED3.jpeg
    8A3BC5A8-5438-452B-B21C-A0AEB5BDCED3.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 32
  • 4F453D2A-4742-4614-9F45-ABEEE2AFD8CA.jpeg
    4F453D2A-4742-4614-9F45-ABEEE2AFD8CA.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 33
When you tighten up the leaky union make sure you use some grips to hold the valve in place otherwise if it comes off you will be in trouble as all the central heating water is behind it. Another way if you have to undo it to clean up the naughty joint is to close both rad valves and then use a washing up bowl to collect the water left in the radiator and your mrs best towels to soak any spillage. When drained undo car3fully as above.
good luck. centralheatking

If you are keen on DIY, patient and willing to learn why not start a program of replacing all your radiator valves for thermostatic ones.

You may be lucky and able to tighten up this leaking old valve joint in situ without draining - but it is very easy to unwittingly damage / crack the valve / pipe joint if you apply unrestrained force on the valve / radiator union joint. CHKING has alluded to that.

The dirty / risky part (if you have fitted carpets) is draining down the last bit of water / sludge from each radiator ( after draining the system) - but once you have done that, I would fit new valves to either end of the radiator rather than try to repair.

If you go down the tightening up route, make sure that you know how to isolate and drain down the system quickly in the event that things start to go wrong.

Hope this helps and good luck

try nipping it up get some grips on the valve and use an adjustable spanner and turn it towards you ,other wise lock the lock shields up drain the rad down and wrap ptfe around the 3/4 thread make sure when wrapping some tape overlaps and goes a little inside as it could be pitted job done

try nipping it up get some grips on the valve and use an adjustable spanner and turn it towards you ,other wise lock the lock shields up drain the rad down and wrap ptfe around the 3/4 thread make sure when wrapping some tape overlaps and goes a little inside as it could be pitted job done

As above, but I would not use PTFE, not least because it is a bit fiddly to wrap it properly, especially if water still dripping out. I would smear the face of the valve with jointing compound:
Boss White 400g

You can normally do this without completely emptying the rad, bit obviously have plastic sheeting and a container in situ.

A following plumber may not thank you, as it can sometimes cause a problem to undo, or to reseal - bit will get your leak sorted.

I tightened it up and all has went well, it’s stopped the leak and it’s been a few hours so im optimistic that it’s done the job. One more favour I would like to ask, do any of you have any advice on any checks/maintenance that I should be doing throughout the year on my plumbing/electrics? For example checking the boiler pressure. It probably sounds like a really dumb question but any help would be appreciated. Thank you

Reply to Leaking radiator in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended floor. Pic 1 is inside porch, pex temporarily clipped to give an idea of pipe placement (ignore shoddy blockwork of booted cowboy builder!), Pic 2 is...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock