Search the forum,

Discuss LEAKING NEW FLUIDMASTER 400 BOTTOM ENTRY FROM PLASTIC CISTERN NUT. in the Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi
If anyone can give me any advise on how to stop a leak please ?

I have just installed a new Fluidmaster 400 float valve bottom entry brass shank.

It is now leaking with a drip from the bottom white plastic washer which fits onto the cistern.
I made sure the rubber washer was put on cone end facing down inside the cistern but maybe I tightened it too much, worried about untightening now in case leak become worse.

Not sure what to do now, do I remove it and start again, says hand tighten nut in instructions , I used a wrench and maybe tightened too much, would this of damaged rubber washer ? do I need to buy another valve ? Would sealant help ?

Thanks for any help please

Read more: LEAKING NEW FLUIDMASTER 400 BOTTOM ENTRY FROM PLASTIC CISTERN NUT. - https://www.diynot.com/diy/threads/leaking-new-fluidmaster-400-bottom-entry-from-plastic-cistern-nut.573311/#ixzz6yV6eEI00

Take it out and start again. Bottom washer may have distorted but will return to shape. Smear of silicone sealant both sides of washer, don't overtighten.
I will try that- thanks for the help cheers if i dont have silicone sealant can i use fairy liquid maybe or soap

1. Don't use detergent or soap - they don't seal and can cause the washers to slip.
2. Order, from cistern inside to outside should be:
2a. Inside:
2a1. Valve and stem
2a2. Cone shaped black rubber washer, narrow side down.
2b Outside (under cistern)
2b1. Any non-rubber washer, although normally none is needed.
2b2. Back nut. Usually white plastic. If one side has a raised circle narrower in diameter than the nut, this is meant to fit into the hole in the cistern to help centralise the valve.
3. If its leaking past the cone washer, I'd suspect dirt / limescale around the hole on the inside.

1. Don't use detergent or soap - they don't seal and can cause the washers to slip.
2. Order, from cistern inside to outside should be:
2a. Inside:
2a1. Valve and stem
2a2. Cone shaped black rubber washer, narrow side down.
2b Outside (under cistern)
2b1. Any non-rubber washer, although normally none is needed.
2b2. Back nut. Usually white plastic. If one side has a raised circle narrower in diameter than the nut, this is meant to fit into the hole in the cistern to help centralise the valve.
3. If its leaking past the cone washer, I'd suspect dirt / limescale around the hole on the inside.
Thanks for the info, the leak is dripping down the brass shank from the plastic washer.
I tightened it with grips but should it just me hand tight ?

Reply to LEAKING NEW FLUIDMASTER 400 BOTTOM ENTRY FROM PLASTIC CISTERN NUT. in the Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock