Search the forum,

Discuss Leaking hot water tank in the Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

My hot water copper tank has sprung a leak just below where the top fitted immersion heater screws into the tank. I have replaced the gasket but can now see a small squirt of water coming from the tank just below the raised threaded area. Is there a suitable product to repair the leak or do I need a new tank. The tank is only 5 years old and looks in good condition?

New tank unless it’s under warranty?

My hot water copper tank has sprung a leak just below where the top fitted immersion heater screws into the tank. I have replaced the gasket but can now see a small squirt of water coming from the tank just below the raised threaded area. Is there a suitable product to repair the leak or do I need a new tank. The tank is only 5 years old and looks in good condition?
What you do next really depends on your experience and tool kit.
1. Turn off the electrical supply to the immersion..white box with a red light when its on
2. Turn off the cold water storage tank...above immersion
Then use a big immersion heater box spanner to crack it loose BEFORE you let the water go otherwise you will crimp the top of the cylinder.
3. Turn on the hot taps to drain the higher tank
4. Drain the cylinder ..two ways. 1. use the drain off at the bottom if fitted
or undo the top nut stick a hose pipe in and siphon the contents out
Go get a new immersion, new big washer, some boss white and refit.
Or call a plumber out if the above is beyond you ....centralheatking

The immersion heater will be screwed into a very shallow brass boss, which boss is brazed into the copper of the hot water cylinder.
1. If the leak is between the flange of the immersion heater and its seating on the brass boss, repair per centralheatking's instructions.
2. If the leak is between the brass boss and the cylinder itself (which it sounds like from your original posting), then its time for a new cylinder. In this case it might be worth seeing if there is any form of guarantee on the cylinder, although I suspect at 5 years you'd be lucky to have anything enforceable.

Reply to Leaking hot water tank in the Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock