Search the forum,

Discuss Leaking cistern on close coupled wc in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
We've installed a new close coupled wc in the bathroom. It is the type which have a rubber doughnut washer on the flush valve outlet to seal the flushing water flowing from the cistern flush valve to the pan, and two long plastic bolts which feed through two holes in the cistern bottom through holes in the pan base on to plastic nut below, clamping the cistern and pan together compressing the rubber washer around the flush valve, and using the tops of the bolts pulled tight to seal the 2 holes in the cistern. I'm getting a slight drip through the hole in the cistern bottom down one of the bolts, it just wont seal the hole in the cistern properly.
Is it ok to use something like lsx applied to the underside of the plastic bolt top, and the hole in the cistern to help seal the hole in the cistern bottom better ? Or is there something better ?
Thanks

Buy a repair kit with stainless steel bolts and rubber cone internal washers to seal cistern holes. Even with these I silicone the cones first. Ensure nut tightened against cistern to compress cone washers before fixing to pan, and when fixing to pan do not allow bolts to rotate as this will loosen nuts.

^^ same as above. I immediately thought on the bolts supplied are probably just with flat rubber washers. This can mean the bolt risks not centering and tightens to one side of the hole and the washer won't seal. The tapered washers and stainless steel bolts do a great job.

Thanks for the tips, I've searched on google for those, they are quite common....
It's pretty crap that a brand new wc needs a additional kit to work properly though, it wasn't that cheap !

Thanks
Tony

Even with the proper bolt set with coned washers they can sometimes leak by water running down the thread, water gets under the head of the bolt from the metal to metal contact of bolthead and washer, use clearfix/plumbers gold on mating surfaces.

I figured this out a few years ago when I just could not get it watertight, whatever I did it dripped I must have had that cistern off 7 times, one more and I would have kicked it in.

I always use clear silicone on the bolts, silicone round the top of the bolt head, oust the rubber washer into that, wipe excess off silicone rubber push through holes bolt up

Problem with the bolts supplied with many toilets and other things in plumbing is they have been designed by people who are not plumbers and haven't a clue how to seal anything.
A penny pinching idea to supply on some cisterns steel bolts that will rust is also ridiculous.
Another idea that comes on Chinese toilets is big plastic bolts to hold pan & cistern together. While that is hopefully okay and won't rust, they often come only with one nut and therefore if the domed washer compresses a bit, then the bolts are no longer tight to the cistern.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Leaking cistern on close coupled wc in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi. Water is slowly leaking into the toilet bowl from the cistern. I suspect that it's the rubber washer at the bottom of the tube that's the problem but I can't figure out how to get to it. I can feel it when I put my hand down to the bottom of the tube and it seems flexible but it's 16 years...
Replies
Views
P
Our builder set up the soil pipe and supply for the closed couple toilet but says it's actually impossible to connect to the wall securely (ie he says he can't get bolts in). It's silicone'd to the floor which he is claiming is fine. Is this right? There must be a way even if in means breaking...
Replies
Views
See attached pics of this cistern this is a VP slimline concealed cistern can you please tell me what I have here . . . The part that has come apart does not look like the coupling parts in the VP 'how to fit' pdf file. I would much appreciate advice on how I get the current plastic ring...
Replies
Views
Hi Just had a new bathroom installed with a toilet bowl that reaches the back wall. Its has a bottom entry cold feed to the cistern. The fitter put an isolation valve on the pipe work for this :-(, the copper pipe comes up from a plastic pipe push fit. See photo. I did a tissue paper test and...
Replies
Views
Hi, I have a noisy cistern that appears to be leaking into the pan a little but also making a very frustrating water noise from inside, I have attached a picture of the offending item that is dripping water constantly. Guessing the whole lot needs replacing but not sure what to ask for when...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock