Search the forum,

Discuss Leaking boiler in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Hello, wondering if anyone has any advice. Our boiler began leaking from underneath a few months ago (right after it had been serviced and the pressure had been increased from 0.5 to 1.5). It leaks a few drops, but only every now and then, maybe once a month. It drips down and out off the yellow pipe in the pic. We called the engineer who serviced it when it first happened and he couldn't find any signs of a leak (as he came the day after it leaked). Does anyone have any idea what could be going on?! Boiler is 5 years old, an Ultracom combi.

Thanks all!
20201227_111059.jpg

Get a different engineer? Obviously you have a leak, but pressure rising usually indicates a passing valve or expansion issue.

Get a different engineer? Obviously you have a leak, but pressure rising usually indicates a passing valve or expansion issue.
Thank you. Currently waiting for another engineer but, understandably, facing a 2 week wait due to Christmas/Covid unfortunately. Sorry, I wasn't clear in the first message, the engineer increased the pressure (as it was a bit low), I just mentioned it as that was the only thing to have happened right before the leak started.

Thanks again everyone:)

Is the filling loop leaking?
Blue handle?
Has the pressure dropped again?
No sign of any leaks apart from the drips from the yellow handle. It is only maybe once a month that it leaks, and then it's not even 10 percent of a cup full. Pressure has dropped a little, from 1.4 when cold to 1.1 (this is over the course of about 3 months). I did notice when it was first increased it would go over 2.0 when the heating was on which it had never done before, it had previously gone up to about 1.6 maximum.

The yellow handle is the gas valve, so unlikely to be water coming from there.
Can you take a picture from a little further away?
The pressure will increase when the heating is on as water expands then contracts while cooling

Hi all, this leak got worse. Luckily British Gas came out today and diagnosed it was the flow sensor valve. The engineer (who was fantastic) said he had ordered a new one and would be back tomorrow to fit it and not to use the bath or shower until then. Cue 3 hours later a voicemail from British Gas saying the part is out of stock for 10 working days. I know BG are cancelling appointments due to covid so am slightly sceptical...and this leaves us basically without hot water until then with a 4 month old. The odd thing is when I search for the part it seems to be readily in stock in plenty of places...

I think you will find that BG are expecting “industrial action” from tomorrow for 5 days. Unclear how extensive it will be.

You will also find that BG only buy parts from a very limited number of suppliers. If it is out of stock with their supplier or unavailable they don’t seem to go elsewhere.

You may be better getting a local man to sort it

Last edited:

Reply to Leaking boiler in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock