Search the forum,

Discuss Leaking bath mixer tap possibly gasket? in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

I get water coming through the ceiling under the upstairs bath whenever I run the taps for a long time (such as filling the bath). I also got the same leak when using the power shower (completely different incoming water supply pipe, but above the taps). I assumed water was getting under the tap stock and running under the bath (the filler has no flow straightener so it 'runs back' a bit), so, as a temporary measure, I sealed the tap stock at the edge so we could still shower until I could get some time to fix it properly.

Oddly though, this fixed the problem when using the power shower, but not when running the taps. The other slightly odd thing is that it's quite a lot of water in both cases - a good steady drip through floorboards, not just a damp patch.

I'm now questioning whether it was the tap running back after all and not an internal problem, but then can't think how that links back to the shower where the extra sealant fixed the problem.

The tap is a 'normal' mixer tap, by which I mean it's not fitted into a wall, or continental levers or anything modern. It's just two taps on one block attached to the top edge of the bath with a shower attachment (which we don't use anymore).

Anyway, I'm planning to take the bath panel off (a massive job for reasons to do with how our bathroom was built) and have a look, but before I do I thought I'd ask here if anyone had any ideas as to the problem. If it's extremely likely I'm going to need new taps or anything like that, then I'd rather take that gamble and buy them before the bath panel comes off so I can fix it in one go.

Alternatively, If anyone can think of a check I can do from above, I'd be grateful to know in advance.

Get the panel off, then you’ll see what’s going on - we can guess but it’s blind and you’ll have to take the panel off anyway.

Reply to Leaking bath mixer tap possibly gasket? in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock