Search the forum,

Discuss Leaking Ariston unvented storage cylinder in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
H

hood

Hi guys.
Looking for a bit of helpful info here.
Going to bed last night and heard a sound of dripping water coming from the boiler/water tank cupboard-which is luckily on the ground floor.
There was quite a bit of water on the floor which I started to mop up.I realised the water was coming out just about as fast as I could mop it up.
The leak appeared to be coming from the very bottom of the water cylinder or at least that is where it is escaping.
I saw 2 valves that were coming from pipes either going in or out from the cylinder so I have turned these off which seemed to slow it somewhat.
After about 4 hours of continual mopping as the water was still dripping I put a bunch of towels down and replaced towels again another couple of times.
Although I think I have stopped the cold feed going in do I just need to wait for the full 210 litres of water to come out before the leak will stop? I've lost count the number of buckets of water I've thrown.
Also I tried switching on hot water taps to see if this would drain it but these are giving out v little water.
I have an engineer coming out tomorrow from a maintenance firm so hopefully I will get help but I fear it will need a new cylinder to fix.
Could someone tell me if I can still operate the boiler for central heating if I have turned the water and power to cylinder off? Its very cold you see and no hot water is bad enough.:eek:mg_smile:

Yes you can use the boiler for heating only. Make sure you check that the engineer is a G3 registered engineer who is qualified to work on unvented cylinders.

The unit can be drained from a draincock, but you are better to get your unvented qualified plumber to do it.

The unit can be drained from a draincock, but you are better to get your unvented qualified plumber to do it.

I saw there was a valve and drain but the drain is capped. I know I should wait for the guy but I've spent the last 30 hrs mopping up water !

I saw there was a valve and drain but the drain is capped. I know I should wait for the guy but I've spent the last 30 hrs mopping up water !

a g3 plumber can still drain it no problem

Drain capped?? Is it some sort of lever valve or perhaps a round headed gate valve?

Its just an isolating valve wth a bit of closed copper pipe on the drain side.
Was going to cut the end of it off with a hacksaw and drain the water. However the guy comes tomorrow morning so will hold tight for another night.
Would just like to get the heating back at least.
Thanks for replies guys

That's better to wait for the plumber to prevent any mistakes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Leaking Ariston unvented storage cylinder in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock