Search the forum,

Discuss Leaking 15mm isolation valves in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

Bav

I've just changed a radiator on a Worcester Greenstar 42CDI boiler combi system. When I bled the radiator I topped up the pressure at the boiler to around 1.5bar. I did this a couple of times as the pressure dropped whilst filling as it is quite a big double radiator. I noticed water on the floor in the utility room where the boiler is and on further investigation found water spraying out of the screws on three 15mm isolation valves. These valves are situated behind the kitchen units and are on various sections of pipework. I have drained down the whole system and am changing all of the valves even ones that were not leaking but I would like to know what has caused this. The only thing I can think of is that I somehow over pressurised the system and the fittings failed? Any help will be very appreciated as I am now in the dog house with the missus.

no normally if there not touched for a few years the rubber o ring on the spindle goes hard and doesnt seal so they start dripping

Some cheapo valves are just cr@p. Replaced a couple on 15mm copper to some fan convectors and new ones started leaking within a year.

If you have space fit lever valves ...if tight space fit genuine ball-o-fix valves.....regards Turnpin:D

Fit full bore ISO valves if you can't get leaver valves in, I've found them to be a little bit better in quality

If the valves are fitted to the cebtral heating system, I will remove the lot. They have no reason being there. Much as some installers fit them so sections of pipework can be isolated, I believe they just get sludgedup eventually. Wasre of time IMHO

+1 for them not being required. No need whatsoever for cheap isolating valves on heating pipes. And they are not designed for heat, or frankly any length of life. Total tat.

60p each you dont expect to be able to use them do you? they are there for the convienience of the plumber who fits them after that they are more miss than hit

Most ISO valves are not suitable for heating systems and only rated for 65 degrees.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Leaking 15mm isolation valves in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
My daughter's place has a small water leak on a ground floor radiator valve. The radiator pipework is small diameter.i.e 8 or 10 mm. A plumber is coming back in a day or so to make necessary repairs. I am a little concerned as the house has a Boilermate 2000 on the upper floor and the...
Replies
Views
Hi, Throughout our house there are numerous isolation valves which are on almost every plumbing fixture. Clearly whoever plumbed this had a thing for using them but I have heard elsewhere that they cause problems and are prone to leaking, especially when used after long periods. I noticed a...
Replies
Views
M
Hi, we have a back combi heater. Whenever the heating comes on it seems to lose pressure within a few hours and I have to refill each morning. The boiler seems to function well, and the pressure only drops with the heating and not the water being on. Ie it started last winter and was then...
Replies
Views
On my Valliant eco tec boiler the pressure guage is on red when cold . I drain a radiator to correct to pressure and it works fine and stays in the safe zone . When I switch boiler off the next day it’s back in the red It could be one of the valves leaking . Can I take the loop off , which...
Replies
Views
Oliver1234
O
Oil boiler (now~15 years old) unvented system with 17 radiators. We moved in 5 years ago and I had to keep bleeding the same radiator. The bleed gas could be burned with a blue flame and the water was acidic (pH 5.5). Since then system has been chemically flushed (it was not too bad) and the...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock