Search the forum,

Discuss leak on new plate exch in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

The boiler is a baxi combi

The pipe underneath on the left side of the plate exhanger where the DHW hot water comes out has green corrosion and signs water has dripped on the floor below it.
The plate exchanger was replaced a few months back so is nearly new. The pipe was not green before the plate exchanger was replaced.
The engineer fitted the genuine part plate exchanger with the new o-rings supplied and it worked perfectly to begin with.

There has been daily loss of pressure for a few weeks until the diveter valve stopped diverting. The motor might be broken.

Any ideas what is wrong? Why might a new plate exchanger be leaking so soon?

Prob didn’t replace the fibre washer

sounds like you have a few common faults

There is an expanded picture of the boiler here: Temporary URL generator - https://www.temporary-url.com/8AEF
When you say the fibre washer, do you mean part 410?

He replaced part numbers 400 and seals 403 X 4. The corrosion is visible on the pipe coming down from the bottom left hole on the plate exchanger, so the drip must be at or above it.

The engineer is very booked up right now but if there was something wrong when the plate exchanger was replaced it might be better to get him back. But he is not available.

However, if the diverter valve and motor need fixing and it won't cost much more to sort the leak out from the plate exchanger while he is there, I am inclined to get someone else round who is available sooner.

What is best to do? will the corrosion have made a mess of the plate exchanger / interface and need major fiddly work to clean it up?

Why was the plate replaced?

It was blocked with debris on the heating side. The DHW was poor and caused banging and overheating. There was also a gradual pressure loss eventually needing top ups everyday. The system was flushed prior to changing the plate exchanger. The cleaning/flushing somehow fixed the pressure loss issue.

After the plate was changed I had a full service and everything was A OK until now.

I think you should inform the engineer that he has to make himself available.
He did the work, and assuming he got paid, he is expected to return to fix the problem.

I would love some of my customers to put up with an excuse like that.

'Sorry, can't fix the leak on the part I replaced for you because I am too busy'

Reply to leak on new plate exch in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all New Diverter valve going in mid week ( subject to eng being available) and from my previous discussion, the dhw plate heat exchanger could also be causing the bypass to lift. So I have sourced a potential replacement dhw plate heat exchanger to go in at same time, but the original part...
Replies
Views
Hi Folks, I have a challenge with a Main Eco Elite 30 Combi which is short cycling on the CH. Water works fine. As soon as you have call for heat, the boiler fires up, modulates, but jumps very quickly (about 30 seconds or so from 40'ish all the way to 70, burner disengages putting it the...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I have a WorcesterBosch Greenstar 42CDi classic combi, which is providing DHW fine, but not heating. Was working fine in spring, probably not been used until recently now it's colder. When heating is called for, the boiler fires up ok but soon shuts down the heater as the...
Replies
Views
I have a Viessmann Vitodens 222-F FS2B 26kW Storage Gas Boiler installed in 2014. The boiler has developed a problem recently where it short cycles but only when hot water is used. When hot water is turned on (on any tap in the property) the boiler remains off for about 45 sec. At the...
Replies
Views
tinodj
T
I am looking to replace my existing Vaillant heat-only boiler with a new Vaillant ecotec plus 630 system boiler (30kW). I have a megaflo hot-water cylinder, a central heating system (serving 21 radiators) and an orangery built last year (6m x 4m) with underfloor heating. Through running some...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock